Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mitt pattern question

Posted by ivamae (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 26, 07 at 10:27

When I was a kid I remember my German grandmother making mitts with 2 strands of yarn. They looked like salt and pepper when they were finished.
They looked big but were very, very, warm appparently. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about and where I might find a pattern?

thanks

ivamae

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mitt pattern question

Do you mean she knit them with two strands of yarn held together? If that is the case, any pattern wouldwork - you would just need to make sure that your gauge matched (you might need a bulky or worsted weight pattern if you were using 2 strands of sportweight , but otherwise it would be knit as directed)

Or was this a very small fair isle pattern or some other sort of color work? I haven't tried color work yet, but there are certainly lots of patterns out there.

Hope you find something that looks the way you want it to.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog

o
RE: mitt pattern question

Thanks crafttetish. I was very young but from what I can remember I am sure she did not hold the 2 yarns together. At that time I had no idea what she was doing. The cuffs and thumbs were one color but the rest, except the narrowing at the tips looked like 1 stitch of the one color and 1 stitch of the second color. She also knit the European way.

ivamae

ivamae

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here