Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grizzylemon

A knitting or crochet ring? (for the finger)

grizzylemon
19 years ago

I was looking through an old issue of 'the workbasket' and found an ad for a ring that you placed on your index finger which was supposed to help you knit or crochet faster, it keeps the thread tension even. It looked pretty neat, but I had not ever heard of one. Do these still exist?

Comments (11)

• donna_loomis
    19 years ago

Yes, they do. I'm pretty sure I saw one in the last Herrschner's catalog I got last week. Don't know about the old ones, but these are made of plastic. I bought one a few years ago, but wasn't impressed with it. They don't cost much, but unless you can find one in a store you'll be paying more in shipping than for the product. Of course, you could use that as an excuse to buy more yarn.

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    19 years ago

LOL! Yes, Donna. I like that idea. I mean, you can't just buy the ring, can you? That wouldn't be practical.
    I've seen those rings, too. I just don't remember where. I'll look more when I get a chance.

• donna_loomis
    19 years ago

I also found these tips for tension control:

Here is a link that might be useful: tips

• donna_loomis
    19 years ago

And I found the item at Herrschners I was talking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: the ring

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    19 years ago

Thanks for the tips, Donna. For the second, I guess the ring would have to stay with the yarn, but that's okay. I might try it someday, when I start a new project.

• froggiesfroggies4me_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I COLLECT OLDER PATTERNS AND SUCH, HOOKS TOO, I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR ONE OF THE EVEN-IT RINGS FOR SOME TIME AND WOULD PAY A NICE PRICE FOR AN ORIGINAL IF SOMEONE HAD ONE OR FOUND ONE--

• Vique_Pa
    15 years ago

Wendy I saw a picture of the pink ring , both opened and closed. It must have a hinge of some sort on it, so it wouldn't have to stay with the yarn if you wanted to use it for another project. I have a tension ring that doesn't look anything like that. It is metal and came from Norway.
    Vique

• shaddy101
    15 years ago

I would say to this posting, learn to do your own tension, that makes the garment more unique in the owner's eyes. Nothing can be perfect, even these rings. I remember seeing that years ago, when I was growing up. Still wonder what it really can do than a real woman can't?

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

To hold tension and keep the loop from coming off your pinky without having to curl it up, weave the yarn through your fingers before making the pinky loop. You can also use a bigger loop around the pinky and ring finger, which seems to be more secure.

Annie

• tami_ohio
    15 years ago

I had one, once. I think I threw it out. I hated it. It made my already tight tension, even tighter. And I had trouble keeping the yarn in it.

Tami

• donna_loomis
    15 years ago

Yes, I also had a terrible time keeping the yarn in it. I also have (I believe) the same one Vique is speaking of, from Norway. It is actually quite helpful when doing something that requires you to change from one color to another often.