Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just wanted to tell you ladies you were right :)

Posted by sweets98 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 16, 07 at 8:58

I taught myself to crochet about three years ago now. I believe about two years ago or so, I came on here and was asking about making a scarf from a bunch of short pieces of yarn that I had cut for something else. I didn't want to waste the yarn but had no clue about how to join it. I was tying knots in the two pieces and working from there. Some of you told me this was not the right way to go and it would look terrible and I believe I got a little upset because I was working so hard.

Well, I just want to tell you ladies you were SO RIGHT :) I haven't used that scarf since that first winter because I've gotten so much better at it and hate the look of it! LOL I no longer tie knots in my work but do weave a few inches back in as suggested and it's working out wonderfully.

Since all of this, I have noticed that I have afghans that I got from family members or picked up at the TS (so many people get rid of beautiful baby afghans and it just sickens me because I know how much TIME went into them!) and a few of them have the knotted yarn pieces. Now I find myself secretly complaining about how they don't know how to properly crochet! LOL

Funny how a little time and experience changes us :) So I'm sorry for getting offended...you ladies were right..and thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just wanted to tell you ladies you were right :)

You will also find that knots come undone in laundering, and that is so sad when that happens. We had a wonderful granny square afghan DHs grandmother made. I kept it on the back of the couch, but eventually it got dusty and had to be washed. Yikes, it came undone in many spots. Had to throw it out. If she had woven in the ends, we would not have had that problem.

o

I've been tying knots, leaving 6 - 8 inch tails, then weaving the tails in part way then backtrack weaving in what is left. Is this not right? I read that it is safe to do unless the item will be juried for competition.

Carol

o

Carol, what you are doing is indeed secure, but the knots will make a garment or blanket uncomfortable. Weaving should be sufficient.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here