Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
addicted :)

Posted by carol_ann (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 22, 07 at 0:16

OK, it's happened: I'm addicted to yarn and knitting and crocheting... I'm in trouble :) The only good news is that I'm not working so I don't have a lot of money to spend on yarn!

So, like any good addict looking for a fix, I've been browsing the web and the local stores, and I have a question... how do y'all find patterns? Years ago when I was knitting there were small booklets -- usually in about an 8.5x11 format -- with a few to several patterns per booklet, around a theme (ie, baby blankets, sweaters, etc.). All I'm seeing right now is a lot of hardback books and some magazines, or rather limited selections of individual patterns. I'm not finding that much in the individual patterns that I want to invest in and make, and of course the books mostly only have one or two patterns each that I really want, so spending $20 and up seems like a lot.

Do they not publish booklets any more? Or am I just looking at the wrong stores?

I love the local store I found and I intend to support it but if I should be looking elsewhere, I'd appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: addicted :)

What kind of stores are you looking in? I've found that my local yarn shop has mostly the hard backed books and individual patterns in binders that sell for $4 to $10 apiece, too rich for my blood. Check out WalMart, Michael's, Joann's and stores like that. You will find lots of books like you described.

o

Thanks, Donna! duh! Yes, I was looking in the yarn shops and some bookstores -- I like to support locally owned businesses as much as possible -- haven't looked at the craft stores. Like I said.... duh!

o

There are tons for free on the internet too. So far my favorite have been the ones on Lionbrand.com. and the other yarn websites. This forum has provided me with some favorites also.

Have fun!

Sherri

o

Hi, start with this site on the internet http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/ there is a bit of everything and all for free. Happy Knitting! Isamae

o

Check out the knitting books at your local library. You can sometimes get ones they don't have thru interlibrary loan. If you can still find a Knitting Pattern A Day calendar at a discount, there's a lot of patterns for your money. Knitting websites like Knitty.com and Magknits.com have free patterns. Besides Lionbrand, several yarn suppliers have free patterns on their sites, including Berroco and Garnstudio. The internet stores like Knitpicks.com and Elann.com have lots of free patterns (and great yarns for less). Sometimes Interweave Knits magazine will have free patterns on their site too.

o

Thanks for all the ideas! I did hit a couple of craft stores this morning but didn't buy anything... well, no patterns, only a few small supplies. Lack of a job makes me very frugal :) but I also didn't see anything that said I just *had* to have it...

I've been purusing the websites and have found a few great patterns that way. The poncho I'm making is one of those.

I'll have to get to the library soon -- and I see I have some new webpages to look at. Yay! :)

Does anyone know how/where I would find Rowan patterns? I've seen a few people post pictures of some of their sweaters (of course I didn't write down pattern names and now I can't find them....). I found a website for Rowan but it's all in UK $$ -- surely there's a US source? Are they only in the upscale shops, or...?

Again, thanks for all the help and hints! Now I need to get knitting....

o

I have also bought a lot of patterns on Ebay.

o

Some yarn stores carry the magazines and collections but you can also try eBay. If you're willing to pay full price, the site below carries them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rowan patterns source

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here