Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tipper_2006

What is 'invisible method'?

tipper_2006
17 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm going to TRY a pattern for Garter/Rib slippers. The directions say: cast on 22 stitches. Use an invisible method if I want to graft the back-of-the-heel later instead of a simple seam. I usually knit my cast-on stitches. Question is what is an invisible method and what is a graft. I don't knit often but love to try something new. Appreciate any help.

Tipper

Comments (8)

• grannymarsh
    17 years ago

I THINK that reference is to the Kitchener method.

FYI, there is a great little book that I use with almost every project. Well worth the $$, it has simple wording and clear illustrations.
    "The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques" by Nancie M. Wiseman.

Here is a link that might be useful: grafting

• tipper_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's a great site for info. I'll print out the pages on grafting but it looks a little beyond my expertise. I'll also find the book you mentioned. I'm mostly a crochet person but am ready to pick up knitting again. I'd really like to not have a seam on slippers.
    Thanks
    Tipper

• threejsmom
    17 years ago

If the instructions can be modified for knitting in the round, you may not have to do any grafting and the piece will be seamless.

• feedingfrenzy
    17 years ago

Kintting in the round will not eliminate the need for joining the back of the heel to the rest of the slipper.

Here's link that explains the invisble cast on. Another way to eliminate the seam would be to do a provisional cast on. In either case, you're eventually going to have to graft the edge of the heel flap to the edge of the slipper.

Grafting is actually quite easy once you get the hang of it. It's much easier than doing a Kitchner stitch.

Here is a link that might be useful: An Invisible Cast On

• tipper_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the sites. I'm definitly going to need to practice before starting the slipper pattern. I ordered the book that Grannymarsh recommended as well as another that sounds good. In the meantime I think I'll try something else to refresh my memory of knitting. Haven't knitted in years! I need a new project.
    Tipper

• threejsmom
    17 years ago

What pattern are you using? I finished 2 pairs of the Pocketbook Slippers and converted the pattern to knitting in the round so I only had to graft 5 st for the strap instead of 2 edges and the strap. I guess I should have said "minimize" grafting in my previous post.

In many cases you can do a Turkish caston instead of a provisional caston and eliminate the need for a crochet hook, waste yarn and picking up loops. I've used it for socks, felted bags, shawls etc. It's an amazingly useful technique.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turkish caston

• tipper_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The pattern is from the knitting patterns central. It's called Flat Version of Toesties (garter/rib slippers). That Turkish cast-on site is great! I'll give it a try. I'm left handed so have to work a little harded to reverse all the goodies you right handers get to do without thought:-) I'm making a sample (regular cast-on) of the pattern now so that I can see how it goes together.
    Thanks for the help.
    Tipper

• feedingfrenzy
    17 years ago

Thanks for the link, threejsmom! That definitely looks easier than the toe cast-ons methods I've used.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms
More Discussions