Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iris07_gw

Feather and Fan Afghan done in strips

iris07
16 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Since you were a wealth of information before I was hoping you all could put your creative minds together and help me again. A friend of my brothers made me an afghan done in strips called I think she said Feather and Fan pattern. Its basically knit and purl. But the strips are about 9 1/2" wide. Has anyone ever made this afghan and if so could you please send me the instructions and also how to join the strips? Thank you all so much for any help you can give me.

Iris

Comments (4)

• iris07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OOPS, I made a mistake. The strips are not 9 1/2" wide. They are only about 5" wide. Sorry about that.
    Iris

• Lindsey_CA
    16 years ago

The Bernat Yarn web site has a free pattern called Feather and Fan, but it's for dishcloths. They are 5" wide, so I guess if you just kept knitting you'd end up with a long enough strip... then you could join the strips to make an afghan.

The pattern calls for 5mm needles (US size 8). Cast on 29 stitches loosely.

Row 1: K2. yfwd. K4. (K2tog) twice. K4. yfwd. K1. yfwd. K4. (K2tog) twice. K4. yfwd. K2.

Row 2: K2. Purl to last 2 sts. K2.

Row 3: Knit

Rows 4-6: As 1st - 3rd rows. These 6 rows form pat. Rep these 6 rows 4 times more, then rows 1 and 2 once more.

(Cast off knitways.)

I guess you'd just keep repeating those 6 rows until you got the length you desire...

Oh, hey, I just found a free pattern on the Knit Picks web site that has the feather and fan pattern for a shawl (54" x 21"), a throw (72" x 28"), and a scarf (78" x 7.5"). they call it Lace 1, 2, 3. That seems like the best bet. You could get your afghan done using the pattern instructions for the throw, and you wouldn't have to worry about stitching panels together.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lace 1, 2, 3 (Feather and Fan)

• arnl279
    16 years ago

This is a pattern for a feather stitch alfagan that I have that is made in strips.

FEATHER STITCH ALFAGAN
    Cast on 16 stitches. Work in garter stitch for 8 rows or 4 ridges. Slip stitch the first stitch to make a smooth edge.
    Row 1: Slip stitch the first stitch. Knit 3 *YO 2 Knit 1* to last 4 stitches. YO 1 Knit 4 (32)
    Row 2: Slip stitch the first stitch. Knit 3 *bring yarn on top as for purling. *Drop 1 slip stitch Purl 2 repeat from * till 4 stitches from end. Knit 4. (24)
    Row 3: Slip stitch the first stitch. Knit 3 Knit 2 together, knit across until 6 stitches remain. Knit 2 together. Knit 4. (22)
    Row 4: Slip stitch the first stitch. Knit 3 Knit 2 together, knit across until 6 stitches remain. Knit 2 together. Knit 4. (20)
    Row 5: Slip stitch the first stitch. Knit 3 Purl 2 together, purl across until 6 stitches remain. Purl 2 together. Knit 4. (18)
    Row 6: Slip stitch the first stitch. Knit 3 Knit 2 together, knit across until 6 stitches remain. Knit 2 together. Knit 4. (16)
    Repeat rows 1-6 until you have 60 of
    pattern "feathers". Garter stitch for 8 rows or 4 ridges. Bind off or slip stitch first stitch. Bind off till last stitch and leave. Unlace first stitch on both sides of strip. When have desired number of strips laces together with a crochet hook. Beginning at bottom insert hook into first 2 loops on right side and 2 loops on left side and pull through.

• catzy
    16 years ago

arnl - I don't know if this helped the original poster but it helped me!! I made this afghan over 30 years ago and then for some reason quit knitting. I have just recently gotten the knitting bug again and I wanted to make another afghan but of course I no longer had the pattern. This is the exact pattern I used so many years ago - thank you thank you so much for posting this!!

Sponsored
More Discussions