Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnas_gw

Beginner crocheting

donnas_gw
11 years ago

Hi...I'm trying to learn to crochet all over again. I made a sleeveless vest in home-ec in the mid 70's. Haven't crocheted since. I am practicing doing rows of double crochet. When I come to the end of a row, do I need to chain one, or do I just turn it over and start a new row going in the opposite direction?

I've done some knitting also, but my rows just keep getting smaller as I go along. I never learned how to actually knit anything to wear, just knew the basic stitches. Thanks.

Comments (6)

• donna_loomis
    11 years ago

For rows of double crochet, I make 3 chain, then turn and go back. Some prefer 2 chain. Your choice. But when you turn, don't make a stitch in the double crochet you chained out of at the end, or you will be increasing one stitch at the beginning of every row and it will just get bigger and bigger.

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a free scarf pattern and I've been trying to do that for the past 5 days.

It says chain 15, Dc in 6th ch from hook, 4 dc in same st, ch 1, skip 2 sts, dc in next st, ch 1, skip 2 sts, 5dc in next st, ch 1, skip 2sts, dc in last st. There's also a row 2 in the instructions, and it says keep repeating that until the scarf measures 55" from beginning.

It sounds easy....I've tried it so many times and it doesn't look anything like the scarf on the pattern. I'm using the correct size hook, and it says the scarf is 4" wide.

It calls for Red Heart "Super Saver" yarn. I already had some Red Heart Sport (Light), so maybe there's a difference in the yarn weights. With the RH Sport, fifteen chains does not equal 4" wide....more like 3 1/2" wide.

I keep pulling out the stitches, sometimes it knots and I end up cutting small pieces of yarn off and throwing it away because I can't get the knots out. Then I got the idea to try just rows of double crochet. I've pulled out all of those stitches also LOL!!

I'll have to start it again tomorrow to figure exactly what you mean by not making a stitch in the double crochet that I chained out of at the end. Once I can see it, it might make sense. I'm about ready to give what's left of this ball of yarn to someone's cat.

I like crocheting better than knitting....working with one needle is so much better than working with 2.

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

The best way to make sure you are not decreasing or increasing stitches is to count. Count the number of double crochet you have done in each row before you go on to the next row. When you get to the end you want to make it on the same level as your double crochet so you chain 3 and skip the first stitch and crochet in the second stitch. That chain counts as your first double crochet. If your chain is not long enough at the start either switch to a larger needle or add nore chains. It won't matter in a scarf as long as there is no pattern to follow.

In Knitting you are either making your tention too tight as you go along or are somehow decreasing stitches. Again counting is the key

• justlinda
    11 years ago

If you go to You Tube then "crochet for beginners" there are several great tutorials. These are very good tools because you can stop and start or replay any parts you are having trouble with. Some deal with particular parts you may be having trouble with, like - different stitches, how to hold the hook, how to increase, decrease, etc.

• wantoretire_did
    11 years ago

Not an expert here, but I do know that Sport is a lot lighter than RH Super Saver. In the link, Sport is category 2 and RH Super Saver would be category 4 (worsted weight). Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yarn weights

• Vickey__MN
    11 years ago

two sport held together will equal one worsted if that helps.

Also, to knit anything all you have to know is how to cast on, the knit stitch, the purl stitch and how to bind off. All other stitches are variations of of the knit and purl (even casting on and binding off can be variations of knitting and purling, which leaves you having to know two things)

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County
More Discussions