Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
budster_gw

OT......Pondering...

budster
17 years ago

Recently I have been given two large bags of bits of yarn (one from an aunt and one from MIL) which is nice as I will use them to crochet up some hats for charity. Just yesterday a good friend offered me a 1/3 completed project of an throw she had begun and no longer wanted. I did not get the yarn to complete the project as she had just been picking up yarn as needed. I took the project and completely unraveled her work and now have another bag of yarn to use for some other project. I should explain my friend had been knitting with 4 separate balls to do her throw which means I ended up with 4 times the usual amount of wool than if she had been using a single skein. All the wool is very nice and I know I will use it. My question is.....do you also come into "cast offs" from others once they know you either knit or crochet? I seem to never need to purchase yarn as some always seems to be on offer from someone somewhere. I guess I should have titled this "wool gathering" as that is what I seem to always be doing. What gets offered to you ?

Comments (6)

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

I have been crocheting afghans for newborns and others needing larger ones for hospital and Project Linus. I only use acrylic yarns as they are completely washable and dryable. I will take any offered, and haunt thrift shops and garage sales for yarn, as long as it is unused and is completely washable.

Carol

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

A couple of times a year someone hears that I knit and crochet and asks if I'd like a box or bag of yarn. Occasionally there are completed projects in the batch, sometimes projects that are nearly finished, and most often projects that have just been begun. Last year someone gave me a huge bag that also had knitting needles and crochet hooks in with the yarn. Someone had started a knit afghan using 4 strands of yarn, and the yarn for the entire afghan was there, as well as the pattern. And enough yarn in two other colors to make two more of the afghans. I'm not a fan of afghans made with many strands and huge needles, so I ripped the one that was started. The colors were teal, rose, and cream. There are a dozen skeins of each, and I am thinking that they will go well together and I may make something with all three together.

• mirren
    17 years ago

I seem to be on the giving end of this. I cant seem to resist yarn at yard sales or thrift shops. I only knit socks so if I cant use it I give it to my husbands aunt who knits constantly all year round. She makes sweaters, socks, mittens, hats, etc. What she cant use she gives to another aunt who uses the smaller pieces for afghans and doll clothes. I also give to a local red hat group who knits hats and mittens for the homeless and slippers for children in the Ronald McDonald house. I must add if I buy a large bag at a yard sale there is usually some unfinished project in it and I rip it out.

• dollydolots
    17 years ago

Oh to be that lucky!
    I have crocheted chemo caps and quit counting at 600.
    The yarn was all from my own stash paid for by myself
    and I have never regretted one ounce of it.
    Dolly

• msmeow
    17 years ago

My mom (who has a house FULL of fabric - she took over our bedrooms when my sister & I moved out) keeps going to yard sales and buying MORE fabric. So every now and then when I'm visiting she hauls out a few bags full and tells me to take what I want. And I still buy fabric... :)

Donna

• ironkit
    17 years ago

None of my relatives or friends knit or crochet religiously. My stepgrandma crochets, but she's like me and is a yarn snob. I have an aunt who crochets only Christmas stockings and has offically refused to fix any that break.

I wish someone would give me their cast-offs, although, I'm still going through stuff that my mother's best friend's husband gave to my mom when she died four years ago. *grumbles* Only crochetted doilys!

~ Kit

Sponsored
More Discussions