Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What have you made lately?

Posted by Lindsey_CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 20:03

Made this scarf for my niece for Christmas. The photo was taken with my phone's camera, so it's not the best. The pattern is called Winter Flame Scarf which is a free download from the Knit Picks web site.

The pattern calls for 350 yds of fingering weight yarn. I used one hank of Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light Yarn in the color Ginger. I used all 420 yards in the hank. I never did measure the final length of the scarf... I must say I'm very proud of this because I made no mistakes anywhere. Start to finish, it's perfect. (Can't say that about everything I knit!)

So, what have YOU made lately???

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Flame Scarf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What have you made lately?

I made "Lucy" hats for my daughter and daughter-in-law's Christmas stockings, finished a pair of short fingered gloves for my DH and am now making him a pair of full fingered gloves. I love the Lucy hats. They make me think of a beanie with attitude.

o

Turned out better looking than the red one at Knit Picks. Nice yarn choice.

o

That is really pretty and I bet your niece just loved getting it.

o

Thank you, iris_gal and bcskye! The yarn was really nice to knit with, and the color is so much prettier in person. Yes, my niece loved it. The first thing she said is, "It's my color!" And she wore the scarf for the entire rest of the time we were there.

It actually is a pretty fun pattern to knit, and I'll know I'll make another. Just have to decide for whom. :-)

o

I just finished a Twisted Old Shale baby blanket for my soon to be grand daughter. I made it with Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn in Hot Rose.

Lindsey, how flat did the scarf lay when you finished it, please? I am looking for something a little different, and fun to knit, but not something I have to concentrate really hard on. What do you think?

Tami

o

Tami, the scarf was pretty flat when I finished it. The edges are supposed to be scalloped. I did steam the edges in a few places to get them to lay like they should, and I also steamed the two ends a tiny bit. It just took a few minutes and was very easy.

The yarn I used (Madelinetosh Merino Light in the "Ginger" color) is a superwash, and has 420 yds to a hank. I used the entire hank. I should have measured the scarf when I was done but I totally forgot about it.

I did make one other scarf with this pattern a few years ago, using the Stroll sock yarn from Knit Picks. It's also a superwash merino, with 231 yards to a ball, so I used one and a half balls. I had to totally block that one when I was done. I'd like to make another one, and when I do, I will use the Madelinetosh yarn again. I just have to decide if it will be for me or for someone else; and then once I decide that, I'll have to decide what color yarn to get.

I love the Twisted Ole Shale pattern, only I know it as the Feather and Fan pattern. I, too, made a baby blanket from that pattern for my grand-niece (who is now six!) when my niece was pregnant with her.

o

Thank you Lindsey. I was thinking about making a cowl in that pattern, and joining the ends is why I asked. I hate to block things! So if I do it in the same yarn, I should be ok.

The twisted old shale pattern is the feather and fan with one difference. On the purl row, you purl the yarn overs thru the back loop to close the hole made by the yarn overs. I like that, as I don't like holes for small fingers and toes to get tangled in. I bet your grand-niece loves it!

Tami

o

I made this for my soon to be born grand daughter. I just noticed I could post the picture in this thread instead of starting a new one, so here you go!

Tami

o

Oh, Tami, that's beautiful!!! I love the color. When I made the feather and fan blanket for my grand-niece, it was before we knew she would be a she. My niece and her hubby didn't want to find out the baby's gender ahead of time - they wanted to find out when the baby was born, which is exactly what happened. So, although I knitted a bunch of baby blankets for her, none of them were pink -- at least, not the blankets that I made before she was born. I made a white blanket, a pale yellow blanket, a mint green blanket, and several that were mixed colors - both pastels and brights.

Thank you for posting the photo. I was going to ask you to do that. :-)

o

Thank you Lindsey! I am making a large dish cloth size to match for her. I started it this after noon and its about half finished in the same yarn.

Tami

o

Very pretty projects, ladies!

I needed a break from my hand applique project so I am knitting a lace shawl. It's knitted top-down; I have the body nearly done then there is a wide leaf border at the bottom edge.

I'll post a picture soon!

Donna

o

Oh, I'm looking forward to seeing your picture, Donna!

I have several patterns for shawls that I'd like to make, and I even have the yarn, but I just can't seem to get started on one. Too many other projects need to be finished before I start something new! :-)

o

Beautiful scarf and baby blanket! I'm looking forward to seeing your shawl pic Donna.

o

I'm new to this forum. I'm making a boys set, similar to this...baby blue with navy trim. I would love to find another easy sweater pattern, anyone have a suggestion? I finished the blanket, and am 1/2 way finished with the sweater, just realized the baby shower is next Saturday.....have a lot to finish!

o

I am no help with the pattern - I crochet afghans and shawls - but I wanted to tell you what a beautiful gift you have made.

I love them all, good luck on finding an easier pattern - if I come across one I will post it. As far as crocheted clothing goes there is no such things as easy for me lol! I think a huge part of my problem is I am SLOW.
Rosa

o

I really need another pattern that's easy....I promised myself that I will never make this set again,,,,the baby dower I'm bringing this one to is Saturday, tried to make this set in 9-12 month size.

o

Ilene, your two layette sets are beautiful! I wish I had learned to crochet, but I just "never got the hang of it." So, all I do is knit.

All of the various yarn manufacturers' web sites have free patterns, and you can also find lots and lots of free patterns on Ravelry.

o

Lovely work, everyone! I am still working on the shawl...LOL. i decided to make it larger than the pattern. I'm working on the border now, but since I made it larger that means a lot more border! My hands hurt after a while so sometimes I'm only able to do one row at a time.

I think I have about 12 more rows. We are going on a cruise the first weekend in April and I'd like to have it done for that.

Donna

o

MsMeow, please post a photo of your shawl, even if it's still "in progress." I'd love to see it.

I've got three hanks of Malabrigo Rios (superwash worsted) in Arco Iris, and three hanks of Malabrigo Merino Worsted in Kaleidos, and I'd love to use one or the other to make a shawl. Just need to find a pattern that I like, that uses worsted weight yarn, and can be made from 630 yards or less. :-)

o

Beautiful work, everyone! Love the color of the scarf, Lindsey. Very cheerful for gloomy winter days.

I finished a pair of socks for my sister. Also working on my second Hitchhiker scarf for in Knit Picks stroll yarn.

o

Socks, I love the socks you knitted! I've never attempted to knit a pair of socks. Is it difficult? Do you use DPNs or magic loop?

Please post a photo of the Hitchhiker scarf, too. What color Stroll yarn are you using?

o

Oh, thank you!!

Socks are not difficult, but it helps to have someone actually help you through the first sock. It took me months to figure out. If I'd had a class or an instructor it would have been so much easier. That said--I'm not a fast learner and tend to make things more complicated than they are. I would encourage you to learn socks. It's really fun and very satisfying.

I use DPN's. Tried to do two at a time on two circular needles, even bought a book, but could not figure it out. (See above.)

The Hitchhiker I originally made is pictured below in the Knit Picks Nevermore color which I just love. It looks like jewel tones to me but is no longer offered by KP. Sis wanted one in the Thunderhead colorway, so I'm doing that now. Hitchhiker can be a boring knit near the end, but I like the points and asymmetrical style. Very easy.

o

The Hitchhiker scarf is gorgeous! I do love that colorway. You're right - it does look like jewel tones. Too bad KP doesn't have it any longer. The Deep Waters color looks sort of close, though. I love purples and blues together. I've been known to buy yarn just because I like the color - not because I plan to do anything with it! :-)

One of these days I'll work up the courage to start a pair of socks!

o

It's hard to get a good picture...I can't spread it out on the circular needle. :). But here is a photo of the center. It's knitted from the neck edge down; I'm working on the bottom edging now. Only 8 more rows to go!

Donna

o

Oh that's so pretty! Perfect to take on a cruise, too. What yarn are you using? It looks like it's got a bit of sparkle to it, which I really like.

I've tried knitting several projects with lace weight yarn but it just doesn't agree with me. I always mess up, get frustrated, and rip it out. I'm just fine with fingering weight yarn, but I've decided to stay away from lace weight.

Having said that, the lace you're using looks like it might be a fingering weight. Is it?

o

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, that is beautiful Donna! I am knitting an afghan for a friend and appliqueing a felt tree skirt.

Somewhere in between I need to start on an autograph quilt for a graduation gift.

Maybe when it's too hot to go out during the summer I can try knitting lace, I have been saving patterns.

Yours is amazing, I'm looking forward to the final pic and the details. Enjoy your cruise!
Rosa

o

Thanks, ladies! Lindsey, it's Red Heart Sofspun Pompadour. I have no idea how old it is - it was given to me by someone who got it from someone else who got it from her aunt, or something like that. :). To give you an idea, the skeins are 3 ounces and marked $1.49!

Donna

o

4 more pet mats to go to our local shelter. These mats are being comfort tested by Alba, who assumes that all things soft belong to her :-)

o

How nice of you to make pet mats for the shelter! They look very comfy and cozy. Alba is a very pretty kitty, too. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here