Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minnie_tx

A Pound of Yarn

minnie_tx
12 years ago

I bought one of those huge pounds of yarn the other day to start a baby quilt. I couldn't find the end that sticks out so you can use from the bundle so I decided to wind the yarn using the strand that they wrap around the outside.

Three hours later Iwas still winding and have to finish tonight.

They used to make the tail stick out so all you'd have to do is pull and start using..........

Comments (10)

• minnie_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just finished winding that yarn I'm going to take a photo of it and one I haven't wound (and never will)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

I usually reach in there and pull out a little sort of wad that has the end in it. If that doesn't work, I stuff that wad back into the middle, then put the skein in a zip lock bag, close the top mostly, and pull it off the outside. No need to rewind the entire skein.

-Babka

• minnie_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds easy enough with regular yarn next time you are in a store look at the ends of the Big Bundle of one pound of Lion Brand
    I did receive an email back from them .
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    We're sorry you are having a problem finding the end of our yarn.

Some skeins are designed as "pull skeins". An end will be sticking out of the center of the skein and you pull on this to begin working. On occasion, that end will be missing.

All skeins have an outside end that allows you to begin work by unrolling the yarn from the outside. You can begin knitting or crocheting from the outside, wind it into a ball by hand, or use a wool winder to make a pull skein.

If you don't want to work from the outside and there is no visible end coming from the center, you can find an end as follows:

Insert the thumb and index finger of each hand into either side of the skein, compressing the skein between your fingers until they meet. Feel for the very center. Pull this out and the end should be with it. Extra yarn will usually come out with it but is quickly used up.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

I have used that yarn before. Their last sentence says what I was trying to say in my post.

"Insert the thumb and index finger of each hand into either side of the skein, compressing the skein between your fingers until they meet. Feel for the very center. Pull this out and the end should be with it. Extra yarn will usually come out with it but is quickly used up. "

That is the "wad" I was referring to.

Only once in many years did I end up with a big wad of tangled yarn. It was with Carons Simply soft, and when I took it back to Michaels, they exchanged it.

Did you end up with one BIG ball? Would love to see a photo.

-Babka

• camper53
    12 years ago

Lion Pound of Love!!! - hate it! it is so soft but trying to get to the center, forget about it! I bought it for an afghan for my daughter, the first one - one big knot from the center, cut it and went on...the second one,was fine, third another big wad, but I untangled it, only needed a little, made a shawl with what was left. Did use the compress and pinch. Never had a problem with Caron's one pounders.

• socks
    12 years ago

Babka has the right idea. Over on Ravelry, when you pull out that wad, they call it "yarn barf." I think that's funny. Sometimes I try to stuff it back in once I've found the end, but that isn't always successful. The plastic bag is a good idea.

If you have a swift and a ball winder, they can help a lot, but I never wanted to invest in them. Would rather invest in yarn!!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

"Yarn Barf"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE that term. very apropo. ;-) You made my day.

-Babka

• sheilajoyce_gw
    12 years ago

Try to remember when you are buying the yarn to buy one with the inside end visible. I try to remember to do that, but I sometimes forget, and then I do the yarn barf thing.

• minnie_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, the second Ball of Yarn I bought (at the same time as the first) I just gave up on and started using from the outside strand. I looked and looked and poked and poked and still couldn't find the inside. Have it in a plastic bag and it is working out ok it sits on the floor. I'm working on four baby afghans at the same time .Two giant Granny Squares and 2 square hexagons. I try to do tat leas two rows on each every night. I dont get bored that way

• minnie_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Two giant Granny Squares - just one expanded granny like the little ones only bigger and 2 square Grannys. see link

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored
More Discussions