Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dllfb

afghan pattern wanted for super chunky yarn

dllfb
16 years ago

I was given a bunch of super chunky yarn...Paton's Bohemian. It is lovely and soft and I'd like to make an afghan. I am looking for a pattern with few or no holes. I prefer the solid look. I only have one colour to work with. If you have anything you can share...I'd appreciate it greatly! Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

Does PAtton's have a website with free patterns for its yarns?

I love the basketweave crocheted afghan pattern on the Lionbrand site. It is simple, quick, and so warm. They show it in a dark green, so it is kind of hard to see. The pattern is for worsted weight, but I bet you could use the same pattern and just not make it as wide. The pattern is a repeat of 4 stitches, so it is easy to adjust.

• jenn
    16 years ago

To knit or crochet? I've seen some patterns for afghans using the moss stitch and I really like that effect. It's the first one listed here:
    afghan patterns at About.com

And there are lots at Knitting Pattern Central.

• profsusan
    16 years ago

I agree with Sheila about the basketweave afghans...easy to do and fairly mindless while working on it. I have used the Vanna White pattern "Pretty Baskets" which in in the 52 afghan book but it is basically a basketweave pattern that uses a 13 stitch repeat so you get a large pattern that should work well with chunky yarn. This picture shows what I'm talking about - was made with Red Heart Super Saver in Soft White.

• profsusan
    16 years ago

saw this flyer in AC Moore this morning for the basketweave done in Bernat Chunky - at least this would give you an idea about how much yarn it would take

Here is a link that might be useful: Bernat patterns

• dllfb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow...thanks for the ideas...love the pic of the white basketweave...tell me...is that knitting...should have mentioned I was looking to crochet.

• Lindsey_CA
    16 years ago

The white basketweave pictured is a knitted pattern (well, knit and purl). Bernat pattern reached via the link above is to a crochet pattern. The Bernat pattern is a free pattern, but you have to be registered on the Bernat site to download their free patterns.

• profsusan
    16 years ago

WRONG!! the white basketweave pictured is a crocheted pattern using regular 4 ply yarn (Red Heart Super Saver, about 48 ounces) with a double crochet front & back post. It is the afghan that I crocheted and as many members of this site know, I only crochet. Have dabbled with knitting but working with two needles seems strange to me after crocheting for close to 40 years. The Bernat pattern is a crochet pattern done with chunky yarn and I linked to that site to give dllfb a sense of how much yarn she needed.

• Lindsey_CA
    16 years ago

Well, gee, Susan, you don't need to shout and get nasty. If the photo were of a better quality perhaps it would be more obvious that it is crocheted rather than knitted. I don't know you from Adam, so I don't know that you only crochet and can't knit.

• profsusan
    16 years ago

I think I just find it strange that you made a statement about someone else's work without giving them an opportunity to respond first. I actually thought the photo was of decent quality. As with knitting there are many crochet stitches that give a different look. Next time I post a photo perhaps I'll mention the stitch used.

• dllfb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok..well sorry to have started a commotion here....thanks for the helpful ideas though!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions