Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

I'm Free!

donna_loomis
15 years ago

I finally got my cast off yesterday, and I can knit and crochet! Of course, it hurts a LOT. After they cut the cast off, the x-ray technician asked it I would lay the arm flat on the table for her. I said "NO!" It hurt so bad, I truly thought it might break or become dislocated again if I straightened it out. They managed to take the x-rays with my arm bent and the doctor said that it looked fine. The little piece of bone that had chipped off has settled in next to another bone and is starting to meld to it. She assured me that it would not interfere with the joint. Today the arm is quite swollen, not sure why. Maybe it's just so happy to be out of the cast that it is bursting out all over, LOL. I start physical therapy on Friday. I'm trying to stretch it out some so that they don't make me cry, but at the risk of appearing to be a whiner, I must repeat that it really hurts. I sure hope that I get full use of the arm back.

I can't say that I have regretted that I couldn't do dishes for the past month, but I managed to do them last night.

And the very best thing of all, of course, is that I can now do what I love most - stitch!

Comments (17)

• sandra_ferguson
    15 years ago

Keep your arm elevated, whenever you can...don't let it hang down...best if you can keep it above your heart, but in lieu of that just keep the fingers pointed to the sky. That should help the swelling. You might also want to try heat, which will encourage absorption of the fluids that have leaked out into the tissues and also help the swelling go down. Good luck with physical therapy...sometimes it can be painful, but worth it.

• donna_loomis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sandra, the doc told me the exact opposite. She said to let it hang as much as possible to increase the flexibility. She did say heat would help. She didn't say anything about my fluids leaking, LOL, but I'll bet that's why I have an ugly bruise at my wrist. Blood pooling.

• emeraldjayne62
    15 years ago

glad to hear your free hope you are doing better now again thanks for the help

• pandora429
    15 years ago

HORRAY!!!!
    Now you can do what you have missed most, knitting and crocheting..welcome back Donna. But do take things slow, let the healing process continue and take its time. I hope you are feeling great soon....Congratulations!!!Here's to a happy and healthier New Year for you!
    Best Regards, Marlene

• junef
    15 years ago

Glad u r out of the cast and free. Be sure to exercise those fingers every day for a couple of mins. to keep flexible, take things easy for now, go slowly.
    Thanks again for "shining star" pattern.
    June

• brenoreo
    15 years ago

Hi, Donna. Welcome back to the crochet world. My mom & my neighbor had broken arms. Afterwards the swelling continued off and on for months even though they were in therapy. I'm glad your life is getting back to normal.

• sandra_ferguson
    15 years ago

Swelling occurs when there is an injury to the tissues, and fluids 'leak out' into the area with the problem....that's what the swelling IS....and, to get things to be reabsorbed, and the swelling to 'go down' you must encourage that re absorption with elevation and heat.....it will never go away if you have your arm hanging in a dependent position all the time. Hydrotherapy is good to increase the circulation of an area and encourage this re absorption, so I hope you'll have that when you go for physical therapy.....and, hopefully PT will discuss this all with you...if not, ask.

• donna_loomis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Sandra. You were actually more informative than the doctor.

• suebdoo
    15 years ago

What great news Donna!!
    I'm so glad to hear the cast is off!

• janniel
    15 years ago

I have thought of you often. I hope you get up to speed quickly. Good Luck!

• tami_ohio
    15 years ago

Great news! If you want to start something to increase the flexability, start with this and tiny amts of time. Stand in front of a wall or door and "walk" your fingers up the wall or door. ONLY as far as comfortable, and ONLY for tiny periods of time. They started me with this when I had shoulder problems. To exercise your fingers on that hand (which will help exercise the muscles in the arm and the swelling go down), put some corn kernals in a bowl and sit with it in your lap, and just play in the corn with that hand. They had mom doing that after she broke her shoulder.

Tami

• mamalo3
    15 years ago

hi donna...so happy to hear your cast is off....hope the healing process is speedy,i think you already went through enough....great to have you back at the hooks, looking foward to seeing more of your work posted....take care..lois

• timberframe4us
    15 years ago

what Sandra says makes complete sense. maybe your doctor wants to make sure that you have it in a different position that the casted position so that it regains the appropriate movement. Did you have the full arm cast that keeps the elbow bent? If so, the doctor probably wants you to work on straightening the arm as much as possible (and didn't say so well). You can work on straightening while elevating. Unfortunately, you can't work on straightening while stitching :-(

• donna_loomis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, timberframe, I had the cast from shoulder to knuckles for 4 weeks in the bent position. I still can't straighten the arm completely, nor bend it completely. But each day I am able to see an increase in movement. I'm doing some stitching, but believe me, I want full range of motion back, so I am working that arm. My first PT appointment is tomorrow.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

Welcome back. Now you can enjoy quiet time while knitting. Did you threaten to take up smoking?????

• profsusan
    15 years ago

Glad to see that you are "free"!!! Hope you are back in shape soon and keep those hooks moving. Don't rush it and do all the exercises that the PT gives you. I am stilling recovering from my shoulder injury and do the PT exercises twice a day instead of once since I want to be better sooner. Another month of PT for me. It hurts being older since we don't heal as quickly but time helps tremendously. Glad you're back!

• donna_loomis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, Sheila, no chance of me taking up smoking, LOL! But I have been making up for lost time. I've already knit my daughter a pair of slipper socks (finished this morning) and started a pair for the baby.

I just got back from my PT appointment a little bit ago. The gal said that everything looks good, asked me what I have been doing on my own, and actually said that I was doing all the right things. She also said that of all the joints, the elbow is the easiest to recover, so that is good news. She gave me several exercises to do that don't need any special equipment, although I'm thinking about buying a shoulder pulley.

It's good to be back, although you know I never really left you. Those who can't knit talk about knitting. Constantly.