Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone recognize this crochet pattern

Posted by acraftylady (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 21, 10 at 18:42

My friend and I are looking for this and have no info and would like to buy the book if it's in one. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Shells afghan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone recognize this crochet pattern

Repost the link it doesn't show up

o

I never did learn to crochet - I am a knitter only. Did a search, but didn't find anything that looks like your photo. By the way, it's a beautiful blanket!!

Here's the photo for ease of viewing by other folks who read this thread:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

I agree, that is one beautiful blanket. If you find a source, please be sure to post it.

-Babka

o

The link is there and it works for me, strange. Well if anyone has a clue we would appreciate it. Mary

o

I have been watching this post, and hoping that someone will have an answer for this one. It is a beautiful pattern, and I would very much like to make it.
I have searched the web until I can't see straight because I was so hoping to find a link that I could share for this pattern...but I am sorry to say that I have not been able to locate it either.
I will keep watching and hoping!

o

Has anyone asked about this pattern at Crochetville or Ravelry? Either of them have far more traffic and exposure than here.

o

Have you? I haven't been to either one. I'm new at this.

-Babka

o
Recognize this crochet pattern?

Have you? I haven't been to either one. I'm new at this.

-Babka

o

No one at crochetville knows or the yahoo group I belong too have not tried ravelry but feel free to ask if you want. Mary

o

this looks like a pattern that might have been put out by Alice Fowler or in one of the old .10 books. I have lots but can't get to them at the present time.

o

Thank you. I googled her and found a site listing some of her stuff so have e-mailed that women hoping she knows vintage crochet patterns. It's a lead anyway and I appreciate it. Mary

o

Please let me know if you find it as well. My little granddaughter would absolutely love that!

o

I ran across this pattern that looks very much like the one you are looking for. It is a very beautiful pattern.

http://www.mypicot.com/crochet_patterns_mc1002.html

o

acraftylady,

I sure hope someone recognizes that and shares information about the pattern. I also checked the pattern jannie1 suggested, mypicot.com has wonderful patterns, but the fan stitch in the blanket you want seems to either work the regular fan pattern on the diagonal, increasing the number of fans per row, then decreasing when the correct length has been reached, or someone figured out how to work those fans to lay on their sides.

I would love to see this pattern also. I am looking. I purchased dozens of crochet booklets yesterday at a large used book sale in hopes of finding this stitch used somewhere, but after reviewing my treasure yesterday for hours, I didn't run across that stitch.

Fingers crossed. I'm still looking. I may have seen this stitch on a dishcloth pattern.

Valerie

o

I'm laughing while I read Valerie's comment thinking just how many of us would like to have this pattern. I love it. Here is another site to look at, but it did not have a picture. I haven't used their instructions yet, but will this coming week.

http://www.helium.com/items/1329055-crochet-diagonal-shell-stitch-pattern

o

Someone was selling baby afghans like those on Ebay a while back. She does very good work and sold them for $25.00! I my own version of tried the one with a roll stitch. Mine is Green and White titled Roll Stitch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shell Stitch Baby Blankets

o

Trixie-

Those are beautiful!!!

-Babka

o

Now... I would truly love to have this pattern.
Any helpers on where I can get it?
Dolly

o

Janniel-

Thank you for the posting the helium.com webiste. It gives the basic directions for a diagonal shell stitch which this pattern IS. The photo is from one corner. I printed out the photo and turned it sideways and loudly said "Now I get it!" The piece is worked in even rows of slanted shells, with no increases/decreases. Your original chain determines the width of the piece.

Now to figure out that magnificient edging...

-Babka

o

You are welcome, Babka. Trixie, your baby afghans are beautiful.

o

Wow, thanks for the diagonal shells link. I will be trying this out soon.
I have been searching for this afghan pattern since I first saw it posted here, and this is the closest that I have seen.
I am wondering if the skirt of the Crinoline Lady Angel would not be really close to the edging of the afghan. It appears very close to me, it just needs a small shell edging to finish it off.
I will keep watching this thread to see if anyone has any new ideas.
Thank you to all who are searching for this pattern, and may you have a wonderful day!
Bobbi
Here is the link (I hope that I am doing this right) for anyone who wants to take a look:

Here is a link that might be useful: Crinoline Lady

o

I couldn't stand it any more. I had to try the pattern from the helium.com link. Unfortunately, it is not the fan-shaped pattern we are looking for, it is a slanted shell stitch. The stitch in the blanket pictured is more of a fan than a shell, though I have seen many patterns using shell and fan interchangeably.

The shell is made of clusters of 4 double crochet, and the fan would be made with clusters of 7 or more double or triple crochets. The link to the mypicot site gives a fan pattern, though it is not diagonal.

One of the more intriguing parts of this pattern, if it is not worked on the diagonal, would be to get the fans to all lean the same direction. If it is worked row by row, not on the diagonal, you would have to work every other row of fans backwards to get them all to face the same direction, so I think this blanket must be worked corner to corner, with regular straight-up fans, increasing until the sides are long enough, then decreasing to the opposite corner.

I am so surprised that no one on this forum has this pattern or can tell us where to find it, including the beautiful border. Maybe I will have to make time to try it out on my own.

Valerie

o

Hmmmm, what if you work one row of slanted fans, then turn and do a thin row of chains and slips stitches going back. That way all of the fans would be facing the same direction. I've been staring at the photo for way too long, but I don't see any increases.

Valerie- Thanks for noticing that they are fans, rather than shells. That blew right past me.

-Babka

o

Babka,

You do have a good thought there about the alternate rows being just chains and slip stitches. That could work, but I'm thinking for me it might be easier to increase the fans in each row than to figure out how to make the darn things lay on their sides!! LOL.

Probably about 10 seconds after one of us posts what we have finally had the time to figure out, someone will post a link to the pattern or book that would have saved us the trouble. (Can you tell I'm quite familiar with Murphy's Law? Murphy follows me around.)

Valerie

o

Bobbiw2,

How did I miss your post? Those crinoline lady angels are beautiful. And yes, I think the basic pattern of the skirt could be used to make a border very much like the picture above. Thanks for sharing that.

Valerie

o

Trixie_2009,
I apologize, I also missed your post (My computer was crashing, and I use it for my job, so my attention was elsewhere, obviously.)

So you made the blanket called Roll Stitch? It is lovely. You do very nice work. I could not get enough enlargement to see the detail of the stitch, so I'm not sure why it's named Roll Stitch, but it looks so pretty.

Do you have the pattern? Can you tell us who published the pattern or what book or magazine it came from? If you figured it out for yourself, are you willing to share the pattern?

Thanks for posting the link.

Valerie

o

I made the pattern for the Roll Stitch from looking at pictures of other afghans this person made and had on ebay. I think the pink afghan you have pictured is from the same person. As for the roll stitch, it is in green on the afghan. I have to say that I made notes on how I made it, but I had some family stuff going on at the same time so this was put on the back burner. Later, of course I couldn't find the first couple pages of my notes. I wasn't entirely happy with the way it came out, and plan to regroup and start again. I think my yarn was to heavy, so I'm looking for something I like better. Hopefully things will go better this time.

o

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum but not to gardenweb. Can you post a bigger picture of the afghan so we can see more detail.

I looks to me like this may have come from Magic Crochet or Decorative Crochet. I have seen this before. Based on their paterns you would make your first shell (and like someone else mentioned in an earlier post)you would use a row with chain and slip to be able to increase your second row of chains and not buckle the patern with a larger picture you should be able to count the stitches and recreate the pattern.

As for the fringe, it looks like chains and doubles with a chain of 2 or 3 stitches between the doubles and increase done at the corner.

It also looks like you are starting out with a chain of say 9 join to form a loop and then X number of doubles for the first row and the second row would be X number of chains with a slip or a single to join and the next row looks like a double over the double with a chain in between....but hard to say the rest pic does not show enough detail.

I would say that you would do your increase on the chain row to increase the number of shells for each additional rows and when you get half way to the size that you want you would start decreasing the same way you increased...doing the reverse.

Try drawing it out on paper first.

I hope I haven't disrepected anyone by posting....was not my intention but just thought I might be able to help.

Louise

o

Louise, If you click on the first posting(acraftylady)& view the link. Below the photo there's a place showing a little magnifying glass that gives you the option to enlarge the picture. Click on the magnifying glass.I don't know if this will help you or not. Janice

o

Mary,email me about the vintage rose potholder pattern.
Joan whatsayyou2002 at yahoo. com

o

Just e-mailed you. Mary

o

If anyone finds this pattern, there are so many of us who would be extremely appreciative. I'm sure one of us could figure it out with some experimentation, but it would be SO much easier if someone recognized it and sent us to the source.

-Babka

o

Me too...Babka

dolly

o

I found this on the Lion Brand site...it is a free pattern and seems to fit the pattern but you may need to change the edging to look more like the one you want. I would try a sample and see if it works for you. I looks very similar to the one that you want but I am unable to attach the pic to show you and in the pic it is done with 2 different colours.

Try a sample and see if it looks the same. I posted the link but this is a membership (free) site so you may need to register.

Reversible Shell Blanket/Carriage Cover
Lion Brand Jamie Baby
GAUGE:

1 shell = 1.5 inches high and 2.3 inches wide BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
STITCH EXPLANATION:

Shell Into back loop only of indicated stitch, (4 tr, ch 1, 4 tr).

NOTES:

1. Yarn must be cut at the end of each row, and new color attached at the beginning (the same side of the blanket is always facing you as you work). 2. Blanket is worked with two strands of the same color held together.

Detachable Counter: Click and drag to the part of the pattern you're working. Your counter is automatically saved and will be here when you next use the pattern. Project Counter: Use this to track your work. Your counter is automatically saved and will be here when you next use the pattern.

BLANKET

With two strands of Color A held together, loosely chain 82.
Base Row (Note Use both loops of chain for shells of base row and for the half shells that begin and end each row.) Two tr into 4th ch from hook counts as 3-tr half shell, *skip 2 ch, shell into next ch, skip 1 ch, sc into next ch. Repeat from * across, ending with 3 tr in last ch half shell made. Fasten off A.
Row 2 Attach 2 strands Color B held together to top of chain at beg of Base Row. Ch 3, 2 tr in same st counts as 3-tr half shell, *sc in ch-1 space in middle of shell, shell in back loop of sc. Repeat from * across, skipping last sc and ending with 3 tr in last tr. Fasten off B.
Row 3 Attach A to top of chain at beg of previous row. Ch 3, 2 tr in same st, *shell in back loop of first sc, sc in center ch-space of next shell. Repeat from * across, ending with shell in last sc, 3 tr in last tr half shell made. Fasten off A.

Repeat Rows 2 and 3 until there are a total of 48 rows, changing colors for each row and starting at same edge each time. Final row will be Color A, do not fasten off.
EDGING

Rnd 1 Continuing with A, ch 4 (counts as tr), turn, (2 tr, ch 2, 3 tr) in same st, 3 tr between half shell and first full shell in previous (top) row. *3 tr in ch-1 space of full shell, 3 tr in sc. Repeat from * across to corner. Work (3 tr, ch 2, 3 tr) in corner. Working along side, make 3 tr in base of each t-ch (where rows join). At next corner, work (3 tr, ch 2, 3 tr). Along bottom, work 3 tr between bottom of half shell and first full shell and 3 tr in base of each shell and sc across, ending 3 tr between last full shell and partial shell, (3 tr, ch 2, 3 tr) in corner. Work along final side, making 3 tr in base of each outside tr (where rows join). End with slip st to top of ch-4.
Rnd 2 Slip st in next 2 tr and first ch of ch-2 space. Ch 4, (3 tr, ch 2, 4 tr) in corner ch-2 space. *4 tr between each 3-tr group to corner, (4 tr, ch 2, 4 tr) in corner. Repeat from * around, ending with slip st in top of t-ch. Fasten off A.
Rnd 3 Attach B in any corner ch-2 space, ch 4, (4 tr, ch 2, 5 tr) in corner space, *5 tr between each 4-tr group to corner, (5 tr, ch 2, 5 tr) in corner. Repeat from * around, ending with slip st in top of beg ch-4. Fasten off B. Weave in ends.

ABBREVIATIONS / REFERENCES
Click for explanation and illustration
beg = begin(s)(ning) ch(s) = chain(s)
sc = single crochet st(s) = stitch(es)
t-ch = turning chain tr = treble (triple) crochet

Here is a link that might be useful: Lion Brand

o

Mamabear- I think the pattern you posted above might work for the post where someone was looking for a reversible shell blanket pattern using two colors. The one I'm drooling over in this thread is a diagonal fan/shell, where all the fans are right side facing up. It would have a definite right side and a "wrong" side. Keep looking.... ;-)

-Babka

o

I have looked and looked for this pattern. The closest I have seen is the link below. Maybe someone with more crochet sense than I can figure this out. Would definitely love to make this.

Here is a link that might be useful: slanted shell v2

o
Re: crochet pattern

Keep looking. That one is nothing like it. There is one out there that is very similar but the edging in wrong. I'll have to go look for it again. I passed it up because of the edging and there was no pattern. I think it was for sale somewhere.

o

Found this pattern. It is more of a shell than a fan design. Maybe it will give someone an idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pattern

o

Thank you all for trying, still no luck. Mary

o

Hi Everyone, lets join hands and pray that someone will let us all have the pattern. There's a lot of babies expected and this a beautiful shawl. I have a GreatGrandchild due in August and would love to make it. GreatGrammas don't last forever.
Come on whoever you are, please share.
Reaching out my hand ......
Dolly

o

Grabbing your hand Dolly.....

Reaching out my hand ~~~

justlinda

o

Could it be possible that it would be in a book such as "280 Crochet Shell Patterns"? Does anyone have this book? Just a thought. Janice

o

I just got this book and no it's not there.
I bought it just for this pattern. Waaaaaaaaaaaa
Dolly

o

Does anyone have this book they could check in? "200 Stitch Patterns for Baby Blankets, Jan Eaton" Janice

o

Yes, I have that book, and no, I do not see that stitch pattern in it.

o

acraftlady - Where did you find the picture at the first time before you posted it? Maybe that would help us in the search.

o

I am working on this. I am being sidetracked by work, moving, and major computer problems that are all taking away time, but I am close to having a version of this that looks like that picture.

If I ever make it to a row with five fans in it that looks right, I will be thrilled. Then I will have to write the notes clearly enough to share. I keep changing as I go--many many false starts, but I'm making progress.

Of course, I would really like it of somebody found the pattern already written. My hat is off to all those of you who design and write patterns--it is hard work!

I have also wondered where the original picture came from.
Valerie

o

This is very close.
There are several listed here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CROCHET-BABY-REBORN-BLANKET-AFGHAN-PINK-WHITE-SHELLS_W0QQitemZ360240840681QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53e006ffe9

Here is a link that might be useful: baby blanket

o

This looks like the same pattern.
We Canadians are out of luck as they don't ship to Canada.
Dolly

o
e-bay reply

I e-mailed the seller who was nice enough to quickly reply to my inquiry. They replied:

"Hi, thanks for your interest. This is our own creation. We are not selling our patterns for right now. Thanks and sorry for this inconvenience!"

-Babka

o
Still working on this

Me again. I've been looking closely at the slanted shell stitch patterns. One of the blankets for sale on E-Bay has the top part of each shell/fan a different color from the bottom part. Looks very pretty! This would indicate (to me) that the return row is what makes the shell become a fan. This way all the shells would appear the same, giving the blanket a right side and a wrong side.

What do you all think?

-Babka

o

My opinion has always been as well that you work back & forth in rows on the shell pattern by turning at the end of the row. How about we all chip in a dollar or two & someone buys the blanket on e-bay. Then if someone is good at getting the pattern off the blanket & would volunteer, we could mail her the money & she could share the pattern. :-) Seems like there are lots of people out there that would like the pattern. I would pay more than a dollar to get the pattern. I sure hope we can pull it off & get the pattern this time.
Janice

P.S. to the person working on getting the pattern off the picture. Thank you for your time & effort.

o

Me too.....
I've been hoping someone would find the pattern.
I've been looking so much I feel like a peeping tom:0)
Dolly

o

I think this is close - but the edging is different

Here is a link that might be useful: Shells&Lace

o

Thanks everyone for trying to find this.

The features of this pattern I am trying to get "right" are 1) Diagonal rows of fans, 2) each row is alternated or staggered so the narrow base of one fan fits in the space between the upper edges of two fans in the row below instead lining the fans up directly over one another where the base of each fan is sitting in the middle of the top of the fan in the row below it, 3) that there is some space between fans, in other words, that the base of one fan does not appear to be right on top of the top of the fan two rows below it, but is bit above it, 4) while at the same time the fans are not so far apart to leave spaces much larger than the "hole" created at the base of the fan when all 9 stitches fit into one single crochet.

I hope that's not too confusing, but that is what I see when I look at that picture that I really like about it, and that I have not found anywhere else. I have found patterns of fans in staggered rows, but it is almost solid, so you really don't see the individual fans as well. I've found patterns where the fans are separated by chains so much that they seem to float, it is more lacy looking. The stitch pattern above kind of balances between solid and lacy, so that is what I'm going for. Then add to the mix that each row will either be increased or decreased to create the diagonal rows.....

Also, I haven't decided if the fans must be double fans like in the afghan shown or if single fans would work. I think I prefer the double, but that is also creating a little challenge the few times I've been able to work on this. I am wearing out the first few yards of a skein of yarn testing, ripping, testing again. I'm almost there. By double fan, I mean working 9 double crochets all into the same single crochet, then on the next row working one single crochet into the top of each of the 9 double crochets in the fan. A "single" fan would be created by working 9 treble crochets into the same single crochet and that is it. In that picture I think I am seeing double fans, and I like them, but I'm not certain it has to be that way....

The border is not a problem. I have seen many vintage doily patterns with that stitch pattern, and I found it in one of my vintage edging booklets.

When I think I have this worked out, I'll post the stitch pattern. But it will only be a swatch to show how to create the pattern and increase then decrease the rows. I don't want to wait until I've created a whole blanket, so anyone who wants to use the stitch to make a blanket will have to guess on the amount of yarn, etc.

Anyone see anything I didn't mention that you think is important to the wonderful look of this pattern? I'm open to suggestions, and if anyone works this out before me, I hope you will share.

o

Empress - does this link help you any?
It is at the Lion Brand site - Crochet Stitch: Solid Scallop. The link might not work since I was logged into the site with my email address.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scallop

o
RE: Anyone recognize this pattern

I found instructions on a "Chinese Fan" pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: ChineseFan

o

Here is another link I found. I hate having to post so many messages but I keep looking and finding. This site has loads of stitches using diagrams.

Here is a link that might be useful: stitch

o

From looking at the example, it seems there are only two was to to get the fans to all be "right side up". 1. each row stands alone. In other words you always start over and work all rows in the same direction or 2. there is a row of "something" to get you from the left side back to the right to start another row of fans. What did you come up with, empress?

o

Some luno,

Thank you, thank you for those links. I just love that mypicot site. They are very generous with some very special stitches/patterns and even include some very clear tutorial.

The first link is an example of what I was describing as the rows/fans being so close together they sort of lose definition, and the second link is to one of those where the fans are lined up with the bottom of one fan is directly over the center of the prior fan so they all line up on top of each other.

The pattern on the third link, however, is close to the look. Some differences, such as the base of the scallops have each double crochet in it's own chain, whereas the fan has all double crochets into one chain stitch. But the diagram is very helpful as far as getting the fans spaced the way I'd like them, so that is very helpful and I have printed that chart out for reference.

pris,
Actually, I decided the pattern must be worked from the corner, diagonally, rather than across side to side. I could not figure out how to make the fans lay on their side without doing exactly what you said, each row of fans would have to start over at the same edge. Working from the corner making diagonal rows works easier because the fans are created over two rows, a row of 9 double crochets into one chain, then on the return row, one single or double crochet into the top of each double crochet from the first row.

So the actual fan "construction" is settled, and with the help of the diagram on the third link some luno provided, the spacing will be easier to do, now I just have to successfully increase fans in each row, then decrease. Unfortunately, I am stealing time, taking a short break from work right now and I may not be able to pick up my hook again until at least the weekend. Would love it if someone else beat me to this. But I am not giving up--just not going to be done when I would like it to be.

Thanks everyone for continuing to work on this. It sure would help if acraftylady or her friend was able to tell us where that picture at the beginning of this post came from.

o

Here is another stitch from mypicot that is similar too. I am tired of looking today. Hope these help. Maybe we will have the pattern figured out soon!!!!! I am glad to help since I would love to make this as a baby blanket. Looks like it is made out of size 10 crochet thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2017

o

This is what I'm working on now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coquilles

o

Trixie .. you're making me jealous. Did you figure out the pattern yourself from the picture or did you find the pattern somewhere? Would you be willing to share? Thank you. Janice

o

trixie 2009,

That is definitely close enough--I love it.

Like Janice asked, did you work this out on your own, or do you have a pattern?

If you can share it, I will make time to type up the border pattern, and those brave enough to make this without necessarily knowing exactly how much yarn it will take will have something to work from. Exciting! Thanks for posting it.

o

Thanks! I made them from the pictures and try and try again. There are 3 different patterns pictured with slight differences in them. I'm still trying to decide which is best. I found a border pattern in one of my books that I really like and will use. But there is still a ways to go on figuring out how many rows by how many stitches to fit the border and getting the right size.

o

Ladies -
I am SO EXCITED!!!!!! I can barely stand it. Waiting for the instructions. On stand-by!

o

Oh Trixie, I am so thankful. I have been searching, and searching. I have been online, and in my collection of old magazines and Workbaskets. I still have not found the pattern, but it sure looks like you are working on a winner.
Please, keep us posted as to the progress.
Once again...Thanks, you are the greatest!
Bobbi

o

Trixie,

Wonderful, wonderful. I was so excited to see the first pic, I didn't realize there were more. I need to learn to scroll more....

It may just be an optical illusion caused by the two colors, but I prefer the third picture. The first one seems a bit more lacy than I would like. The third/bottom picture seems just right. My eyes won't focus well enough this morning to count stitches etc, so are the differences in number of chains, or mostly in different size hook/yarn?

I am soooo excited and so thrilled you got this done. I am looking forward to seeing the pattern when you are able to share. If you are not already a published pattern writer, I bet you could sell a few copies of this just based on our interest here. Woo hoo!

o
RE: Trixie's special crochet pattern

Ooooooh! Trixie, I just noticed the fancy extra chain "filigree" you created in that third example. How nice. Really, really, pretty. No wonder I love it. Fantastic.

o

No, I'm not a pattern writer, so I have to make sure I write this so anyone can understand it. And as my hubby reminds me there may be copyright issues. Opinions on all of these forums is so different, and I do not want to get myself into something I can't get out of. I did use the same hook and yarn size on all 3 samples.

o

By George, Trixie. I think your #3 hits it on the head. Can't wait for the instructions. I got the fans worked out but had a problem with the connecting stitches attaching the second and subsequent rows in the middle of the fan. Is that 2 doubles or a picot stitch? Or maybe something else?

o

Trixie! WOW! You even figured out the two color one (photo #3)!!!! So is it a slanted shell or a begin-in-a-corner and increase and decrease? What wonderful sleuthing!

-Babka

o

Trixie...
WOW, WOW. The 3rd one is so close,I think that's it.
Can hardly wait for the instrutions.
Dolly

o

Trixie,

I sure understand your concern. There have been many conversations on these boards, and others I frequent, about this. It sounds like copyright does not protect the idea, concept,or design, just the printed representation of that idea can be protected.

I've added a link to the government copyright site. The document about copyright basics, which is linked from the main page, says, "Copyright protects "original works of authorship" that are fixed in a tangible form of expression." It sounds like copyright would protect any visual representation of the design, and if you had found this pattern somewhere else, you should not copy or distribute any part of it without permission of the "author." It does not sound like that prevents anyone from authoring their own representation of a design from scratch, for example the zillions of versions of instructions and tutorials for granny squares for the fan stitch.

(I am not a lawyer, and do not make any claim at all as to my authority on this subject. I am just sharing my personal conclusion, based on what I have read many times recently, even at the government's own website regarding copyrights. Certainly you should read and make your own decision or consult an expert.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Government copyright site

o

I think working through the pattern as you did cannot be construed as a copyright infringement. If in doubt as to the GW rules then I suggest instructions be emailed rather than posted. What do you think?

o

Trixie - you're amazing!! I love #2 & #3 - somehow #1 seems off a bit - maybe too open? #3 is very nice, but I think I like #2 best!

Empress - if you can work out the border - what can I say?

Ladies - it'd be awesome to be able to make this gorgeous blanket!

DJ

o

Ladies,

I have not forgotten. I'm posting so this thread does not get lost.

I have been fighting computer problems for over six weeks, replaced a dying computer with a defective new computer and fighting for refund, now finally all set up and running on my second new computer. And during all this, packing up house for a transitional home in a move between old house, which will hopefully sell soon, and a new home. Having quite a challenge keeping up with what is where. ;^ )

In the meantime most of my books/patterns are in storage. I thought I might have the pattern for that border in my computer files, but haven't found it (now that all my files are restored). I might find it online, and if I do I will post a link. In the meantime, I wanted to bump this post up.

Valerie

o

Trixie-

Can you post what you figured out about the main part of the blanket? Then we'll worry about the trim. Your efforts are most assuredly appreciated.

-Babka

o

Trixie,
I re-clinked your link and WOW your's is so much more beautiful than the original..
No problem with copyright as your's
is truly unique in that you actually start with one shell in the corner and not a line. and you add the color seperately.
You really have a winner.
I think you should post it on Ravelry.com and sell the pattern.
I for one would be willing to pay a small fee just in case I ever have another grandchild.
Anyone wanting to see the finished blanket can just click on Coquilles in trixie's post above.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ravelry

o

Thank you. This is all still a work in progress. I make changes every time I pick up the piece I'm working on. Have you all seen the lady's on ebay. Take a look at her stuff. She does really great work, and I can't take credit for the color changes or even how it's made. I've been keeping an eye on her site for awhile. She has several different styles of afghans, and even on this shell stitch one has several variations. I made my pattern from seeing her afghans. I don't think they're made exactly the same, but look very close. Which is why I have copyright questions. But thanks anyways. I'm going to continue working on this and find out about all the copyright issues.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty Baby Afghans

o

Any progress on this pattern???? My pastor and his wife are expecting and this would make a lovely gift. Please post instructions. I am on Ravelry also so if you post there under patterns I should be able to get it.

o

Has anyone found this pattern? I would to make this afghan and I have looked for it and have been unsuccessful.

Can anyone share.

Thank you
Margarita

o

It has been a few months now without a pattern. Just trying to keep this post alive. I still would LOVE to have this pattern - real soon!!!!!

o

Does this picture of the same afghan help anyone with the stitches for the instructions????

Here is a link that might be useful: Third picture - enlarge it

o

Someone has to want this bad enuf to work out the pattern, and then can share with someone else?

o

Just checking in to apologize for making no further progress on my attempts to recreate this pattern. I have put my participation in trying to recreate this pattern aside for the time being. Working too many hours and spending whatever other time I can helping a terminally ill family member, and leaving a couple other pressing projects wanting. I am crocheting now and then, working on a couple comfort afghans.

But I do check this thread often to be sure it stays near the top and, of course, I don't want to miss is if someone else comes up with pattern.

Keep up the good work, ladies.

o

Trying to keep this post alive. Hope someone will have the pattern soon. I am willing to pay $$$. Email me if someone has this - some1uno at embarqmail dot com.

o

Hi There
Has anyone found the pattern yet for the baby shawl?
If you do find the pattern could you please share it with me?
Thanks a bunch
dolly

o

Bump. I continue to look. I cannot believe only one person in the world ever has this pattern, and she won't sell it.....

o

Hi ladies -
I have been watching this post for a while, and finally decided that I would try to figure out this pattern myself. I think I have come pretty close and I am willing to share. However, I have never written a pattern before and I am afraid that my notes will cause more confusion than necessary so I am looking for someone who may be willing to work with me via email to help me write this in a more legible way, and then once we get it so we think others can understand it, we can post it here. Also, I do not have a camera, so it would be nice if this helpful person was able to take pictures of the work in progress in case some clarification with pictures would be useful. Any takers? Email me if you're interested in helping me with this project.
Thanks
Sharon

o

Oops - I had assumed that clicking on my name would give you my email address but I see that is not the case. My email address is SharonB551@charter.net.
Thanks

o

Sharonb551 -
I am so glad that someone is willing to attempt this pattern. I am not good at writing patterns and I don't have a digital camera. Please keep me posted as to your progress and of course, the instructions when you are finished. God bless you in your endeavor. Thanks a bunch!

o

I have a couple of people that have volunteered to help me with this (Thanks Mary and Valerie!0 and hopefully we can get this posted before too long.

o

I've been following the thread and keep hearing people posting to Trixie about how well and how beautifiul of a job she's doing with her version of the pattern but I still haven't seen anything.

I've been waiting patiently, but I'm about to design my own pattern. Is someone still working on this or do I need to get out my hook & yarn and start designing?

o

beverly5876.....go for it. I anxiously await any patterns you design that are along the lines of the original. Wish I could design, but not my fort :(

o

Ladies I purchase a skein of baby bee yarn at Hobby lobby Yesterday and it has a baby blanket pattern on the label and the edging on it looks very much like the one every body is looking for
Dorothy

o

Hi Dorothy,
Would it be possible for you to post a picture? Or, tell us the name of the pattern so I can make a trip to Hobby Lobby & look at a skein of yarn? Thanks. Janice

o

Janice I do not know how to do a picture on this board but If you will e mail me I can send it to you
dmaydottie6@aol.com or I could scan and put in my photobucket
Dorothy

o

Hi, if you post the address of the site where the pattern is, then we could go to the site and see the pattern/picture for ourselves.

I'm very interested in seeing the pattern if someone could share it here.

Thanks.

o

Any useful information would be great!!!! I have slowed down searching for this pattern. I can read patterns but cannot design. Would love, love, love to have this pattern. Keep me in the loop!

o

Hi everyone, I'm new and have also been looking for this pattern. I think I found something: http://www.mypicot.com/crochet_patterns_opl2017.html

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but would love to know if anyone else has. Also need to figure out how to make it diagonal!

Here is a link that might be useful: mypicot - openwork #2017

o

Slanted fans/shells patterns abound, however this particular design (from what I can tell)has them all facing the right side of the work, so the rows between the fans (wrong side)are something else. I'm not good enough at design to figure this out w/o going nuts.

-Babka

o

I have been looking through all of my old magazines and booklets (for months now) hoping to find this pattern, to no avail. I hope that someone will soon be able to locate the original pattern, and share the location information or determine the stitch pattern and share it as I would love to make this for my grandbaby before she is too old for it. I will keep looking and if I locate it, I will certainly let you all know.
Maybe the (wrong side) is comprised of chains and slip stitches...I can't really see the detail of the picture because it is small and these old eyes only see in large!
Bobbi

o

I have just posted an inquiry for help finding this pattern on the Pattern Detectives forum on Ravelry. I hope one of those people can help us out. I will let you know if they come up with the pattern.

Lindsey_ca, I used your photo of the blanket in my ravelry post. I hope this is all right with you. If it is not, please let me know and I will remove the picture from my post immediately with sincere apologies.

o

Empress, it's not my photo. The original poster, ACraftyLady, put a link to the photo in that first post, but it wasn't working for some folks. So, I simply pasted the photo into a post so that everyone would be able to see it.

So, it's not my place to give or withhold permission to use the photo.

o

Hopefully acraftylady will see this, because I didn't find an e-mail address or link on her page and the original link has taken be to a webshots page that seems to be unavailable for the last couple days...

o

I found this link on another crochet site looking for the same pattern as this thread here. This is as close to what we are looking for & the pattern is free. It is a shawl but could be converted to a blanket.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snow Queen Shawl

o

some1uno,

Thank you for posting that. I was directed to that one last week when I posted an inquiry on a Ravelry forum. I tried to post the information here a couple times, but the times when I could actually log in, my post would just disappear. I am sure that pattern could be tweaked, but one difference I noticed after I looked at it closely to see what to tweak is, the fans are lined up in columns rather than alternating each row. But the fact that they are laying on their sides is a big step towards recreating that original blanket pattern.

Thanks again for posting this. I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season. Looking forward to a good 2011.

o

Hi all,
I know this is a older post.
But did any one fine the baby crohet pattern?
Norma jean,

o

I recently created a very similar looking blanket pattern.

o

craftylady1956--Is it possible to buy the pattern from you?
Thanks. Janice

o

Ooooooooooooh. Would you post a photo?

-Babka

o

I believe craftylady1956 is the same person as craftylady56 on ravelry. She just put a pattern up for sale that I think is this one. It is called "Bundle of Joy Baby Blanket" by Lorraine Hurd. Hopefully she'll by by soon to confirm this.

o

Thank you yes--the pattern you speak of is Bundle of Joy Baby Blanket on Raverly.
Disclaimer--It was brought to my attention that it resembles another popular blanket pattern. My pattern was created and made by me as a gift to a relative.

o

Both are beautiful patterns, and although both have slanted shells or fans, they line up very differently, if you look more closely. The quest goes on...

-Babka

o

I posted this want in the spring and here is what a friend in australia came up with

http://cats-rockin-crochet.blogspot.com/search/label/crochet shell st afghan

o

That is IT!!!!!!

Now for the edging...

-Babka

o
You got it this time!

Forgot to say THANK YOU! to kafskorner.

All the shells are right sided, and they line up above each other. The original one posted used variegated yarn instead of two colors, but I love it both ways!

Did I say THANK YOU?

-Babka

o

MAR---VEL---OUS!

Will be putting this one on my "to do" list. Thanks muchly. Like Babka said.....THANK YOU.

o

What a Dynamite thread. I loved all the searching and excitment. And finally a pattern. Thanks to all who particapated. What a lovely pattern and my to do list, for sure.

o

Hi .. does anyone have any idea why I can't watch or view any of the video tutorials? In all the boxes it just states "404 not found nginx". Is it my computer settings? How can I fix it? Thanks! Thanks for everyone's hard work too in recreating the pattern. Janice

o

Janice 51031-

Video tutorials where? Can you give an example? It is probably in your computer settings, but I need to know where you are looking. When I see a video tutorial I just click on it. If it shows up but doesn't run, I right click to see how it wants to open the file. Keep working on it...You are not the first one to get befuddled by all of this.

-Babka

o

This one: http://cats-rockin-crochet.blogspot.com/search/label/crochet shell st afghan. The one that kafskorner mentioned in the post dated September 18th. Sorry I wasn't more clear. I wanted to see how to decrease on the corner shell blanket. Thanks. Janice

o

Janice does the same thing happen if you view the video on youtube? Can you view other youtube videos ok? Mary!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3vjH1S0MkKQ#!

o

Janice, do you have Adobe Flash Player downloaded on your computer? Here's a link. (it is free)

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Adobe Flash Player

o

No, I can't watch you tube video's either. That never bothered me to much .. the decrease video is way more important! :-) I'm going to check for Adobe Flash. Thanks Ladies!!!

o

Janice-

Come back and tell us if you still cannot see it. The really cool thing about watching crochet/knitting videos is that you can watch it over and over until you "get" it. You can also hit that Pause button and do what you just saw before resuming the video.

There is a "crocodile stitch" (google the videos for that if you wish) that IN NO WAY would I have figured out how to do it from written instructions. Enabling videos will open a whole new world... ;-)

-Babka

o

Well, I'm back & I can't get it to install. I'm at a loss to what is wrong. I went to the sight to download Adobe Flash Player. I downloaded the file & then double-clicked on it. Got the screen (black) Adobe Flash Player Installer. It just sat there for several minutes & then I got the message that "installation encountered errors". I've tried 3 times with the same results. I'm not sure if it could be my drivers??? We might have to make a phone call. Hubby even worked on it & he usually can fix everything. :-( Thanks!

o

Thank you, thank you, thank you kafskorner for the link to this pattern. And thanks to all of the others who have been searching for this pattern. I have been following this thread since the beginning, and I have searched many places to no avail. I have also looked through many magazines and books. It has been great fun watching this thread grow as we all shared the same goal. Now, I am off to begin my afghan.
Thank you again, and may you all have a blessed day!

o

I would love to have this pattern or something similar. I have searched and can't find anything like it. If anyone knows where I can purchase the pattern, please let me know. My email is nanagramms3@yahoo.com. Thank you one and all for your help.

o

So has anyone made it yet using Cats Rockin's pattern?
It is lovely. I think I like the variagated yard in the original the best.
Kathy

o
I couldn't resist also posting...

A while ago I read this entire thread. Then I switched to looking at some antique patterns on line and I couldn't resist posting this leaf shawl which unfortunately is knitted but has the effect of staggered leaves on the diagonal. Its about 2/3 the way through the pdf of the old book.

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/pub/PDF/BeehiveShawls.pdf

I just thought it was very pretty and also interesting because the quest of this thread has been to find a pattern for a motif (fans) staggered and made on the diagonal. I'm not much of a knitter, but I wonder if they are more common in knitting?

I would love to crocet leaves on the diagonal!

Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here