Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knitting Instructions puzzle

Posted by puzzlefan (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 29, 09 at 17:57

I read through most patterns before starting. I have one that makes knitted diamonds. The instructions are to cast on in multiples of 8. So far no problem The first row is pretty straight forward. P1 K7 and we are still using the multiples of 8 However for the next seven rows, none of the pattern stitches per row add up to 8. For example, one row reads K1* P2, K5, repeat from * to the end of the row. That doesn't seem logical as you would end up with odd ends. Am I correct in thinking I can ignore the *, keeping everything in multiples of 8?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knitting Instructions puzzle

You wrote: K1* P2, K5, repeat from
I think they should have said ending with Knit 1 stitch.
Your count would be 8.
Hope this helps and good luck.

o

I wonder if it should have been K1*, P2, K5 and then ending each row with a K1. I think that works out. At least it did when I was making little marks on a piece of paper!

Where'd you get the pattern? Sometimes you can check for pattern corrections on the internet or with whoever made the pattern.

o

Adding the K1 might work for that particular row but other rows have different combinations which also only add up to 7 stitches. I found the "pattern" in a book on knitting stitches, patterns. This one was for a diamond design which was supposed to be the same front and back. Since I planned to cast on 160 stitches for an afghan, I didn't want to get started and then find out it wouldn't work.

o

I don't blame you for not wanting to do a 160 stitch trial! LOL!

I'm sorry I don't have any other suggestion for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here