Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you always wash gift scarves?

Posted by jenn (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 08 at 17:50

I knitted a simple scarf for my SIL for Christmas... unfortunately, I didn't finish it in time so I will need to ship it to her.

I'm wondering if I need to wash it. I don't wash the ones I make for me. It doesn't appear to need blocking (at least not to my novice eye).

Do you always wash the scarves you make for gifts? Is there a criteria you use to determine whether or not to wash them -- if they need blocking, or to remove a spot that might have gotten in while knitting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you always wash gift scarves?

I wash my gifts because I like the softness of the yarn once the sizing is removed. I use fabric softener too. I do not use wools, so I am not sure how much a washing would help a natural fiber, but it definitely helps acrylics.

o

I NEVER wash scarves before I give them...I mean, how dirty can they be? I knit with wool only, and washing doesn't have much advantage for wool, so why do it if you don't need to. Sometimes I spritz with water and then block, but whether I do this or not is dependent on what pattern I use, etc. Perhaps if I used acrylic yard I'd view it differently.

o

Thanks for your comments. I ended up soaking it in tepid water with a drop of mild soap (Amway LOC... great stuff and doesn't need rinsing). Mostly so I could gently reshape it a little.

I agree Sandra, how dirty can they be... I should have said "block" or rinse" instead of wash. And since I've read to block most everything I thought I should. Or, should I?

o

When I block things, I pin them to the back of the guest room door, with push pins. When I get the article (I do this with sweaters, too) the way I want it, I spray with water...no need to soak an article...damp seems to be sufficient. The only time I do this is when either the garment needs a bit of 're-sizing', or the pattern would look better if I did...for me, most scarves haven't needed it.

o

I tend to wash everything before I give it. I rarely use wool so it has nothing to do with blocking. With a dog in the house, there are usually stray hairs that get on anything I work on. It's also a good way to tell the person that it was washed/dried and they should not be afraid to do so. I also include a label from whatever yarn it is with the gift.

o

Thanks everyone. It's taking it's sweet time drying on the table.

Sandra, do you stick pins into your door??? How do you support it while your putting in the pins so the weight of the garment doesn't stretch it out???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here