Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tunisian crochet

Posted by RyseRyse_2004 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 17:06

I am learning a new stitch with Tunisian crochet - basket weave. It is BAS and PAS alternated. It is looking very pretty. There are five panels and then a horizontal panel on each end which will be embroidered with daylilies.

The only thing I don't like about the embroidery on the afghan stitch is that it is impossible to keep it from showing through the other side - the afghan isn't reversible. So, with this one, I am planning to back the top and bottom with a light-weight cloth.

I'm using Red Heart Soft yarn.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tunisian crochet

Why not double the boarder and embroider on each side? That way it would be reversible and the heavier ends would make in lay nicely.

o

That would make for an extremely heavy afghan, wouldn't it? Maybe that would work with 2 ply yarn. I have made very large heavy afghans in the past and find that I can't wash them in my machine --- must take to a laundramat.

o

I guess it might be heavy. I thought you might be able to just double the borders and fold them over so that only the top and bottom would be heavy and you could embroider upside down before folding over. Maybe I don't have a clear picture of what the afghan looks like. And I misread the first time. Thought you were going to line the whole thing. I've done that in the past and was not happy with the results. Good luck with it and be sure to post a pic. I just found this site and would love to see what others are working on.

o

Couldn't you do your embroidery on the surface using chain-stitch-embroidery with a crochet hook? It should be easier and reversible (provided your pattern looks okay in mirror image).

Here is a link that might be useful: How to surface crochet

o

Thanks so much for your help all! This is a Tunisian (afghan stitch) piece so the cross stitch embroidery is probably best. It has five vertical panels and then a top and bottom horizonal panel. The horizontal panels will be embroidered with daylilies. It really is a lovely pattern - I will post a picture if I can figure out how.

The vertical panels are done in a basket weave stitch with puff stitches on the sides and slip-stitched together. The horizontal panels are done in the basic afghan stitch for embroidering. I am done with the 5 verticals and am starting the top and bottom panels. I plan to connect them all before starting to 'decorate'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here