Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lexi_gw

help with yarn question

lexi
15 years ago

Do you know if you can pull yarn from both ends of a skein to use it.

I know you can pull from one end and use that but will it

screw up the skein if I pulled from the other end too?

My loom project calls for a double strand of yarn or two skeins and I got one gigantic 1lb yarn, not knowing because I didnÂt have my instructions with me.

Comments (5)

• donna_loomis
    15 years ago

Lexi, you can pull from both ends of a skein, but you will have to watch for tangles. Unless you are able to stand the skein on end and pull up, it will tangle/twist badly and you will just have to stop every once in a while and untwist it. Another option is to wind the skein into two balls. A small kitchen or postal scale will make it very easy. Even though the band states that the skein is a pound, weigh it anyway (you'd be surprised how many times I've found that the skein is a little light), then just start winding (pulling from the center) and weigh the ball occasionally until you have a ball that is half that weight. That is a pretty accurate way to go.

• lexi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How would I stand it on one end and use both ends? I'm not picturing what you meant by that. Sounds like my best option is to unroll and re-roll the yarn. I do in fact have a small kitchen scale.

By the way....do you know what it means if a skein of yard says no dye lot? Does that mean if I buy today a skein of blue and come back a month later to buy another it's not going to be mismatched?

Thanks so much for your help! Easy enough solution that I didn't even think of lol :D

• donna_loomis
    15 years ago

Lexi, you could stand the skein upright in an empty Quaker Oats box (it's round and tall). That way, instead of the skein rolling around the floor (as I guarantee it will) and tangling the yarns will tangle much less.

And yes, no dye lot means that the color should be consistent with the next skein you buy, but I also guarantee you that this is not always the case. Ask me how I know.

• socks
    15 years ago

I've knit from both ends, and if you stop and fix any developing tangles periodically, it works fine. I would not bother to make two balls. You want to knit, right? Not rewind balls! LOL!

• tami_ohio
    15 years ago

When using the 100 gram balls of self-striping sock yarn, I do as Donna suggests and use a kitchen scale to weigh the ball, and make two balls out of it, so I can match the starting ends, which makes the socks match almost exactly. In your case, I would still make two balls, as I have tried to use both ends at the same time and ended up with a tangled mess in just a couple of minutes, and I was trying to keep it untangled while knitting.

Tami

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz
More Discussions