Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ribbon Yarn Knit Scarf

Posted by ivamae (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 16:42

Have any of you made these? They are really nice. If so, did you use the Red Heart Pattern and pick up in every other space or did you pick up in each one? Also did you use 4.5 mm needles? I got Red Heart yarn to try to make 3 . One each for my daughter, grand daughter and grand daughter-in-law. I hope they turn out all right. I have never done anything with ribbon yarn before.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ribbon Yarn Knit Scarf

You can go every other, every third. Vary it. More spaces, the more ruffles. Needle size not really important.. They're easy, have fun.

o

Thanks so much for the reply. I'll try every other one on the first one and see how it goes. I presume that you don't mean to try them both in the one scarf.

Thanks again

o

I usually avoid the novelty yarns, but saw a gal making a scarf with the ribbon yarn while waiting to get my hair cut and thought it was beautiful. Had to make one, so picked up the gray/black/brown colorway. Just finished it and LOVE it. I used size 6US needles and knit into every space.

o

I'd love to see pictures of these. I think my daughter might like one.

Eileen

o

Well, I have started and have ripped out the first bit 3 times. I have about 5 or 6 inches done now. However, I'm not sure about it. The ones I saw were almost like a tube when finished and only about a couple of inches or two and a half across. This lady had used 8 stitches and in every other one. Red heart says 6. I can see when it is cast off that will look tube like but what about the end where I started. I can't see that is is going to be the same. More advice????

How wide was yours when you finished, knitting in every space, donna?

I see why they say you need to be careful when setting it down as it will easily slip off the needles. I remedied that. I had a paper punch about 1 and 1/2 inch and cut some circles out of card stock and pushed a darning needle through the centre. I put that on one end of each needle. When I set it down I put one on the other end. It couldn't possibly fall off and works great.

Barnmom, if you Google Red Heart ribbon knit scarves, you will find pics.

Thanks to all of you. I'm not giving up!

o

I'm not at home, so can't say exactly, but I think it's about 3 and a half inches wide. I "think" I cast on 11 stitches. It doesn't necessarily look like a tube, but sort of. I know, that's vague. I'll take a picture and post it tonight if I can remember.

o

thanks, Donna

o

Okay. Got the pictures last night. The only camera I have is on my phone and I'm no photographer. But you'll get the idea. I counted and I did make it 11 stitches across on size 6US needles. And I was wrong about the width. It's actually just 3 inches wide.

ribbon scarf 1 photo RibbonScarf2_zps9d09668b.jpg

ribbon scarf 2 photo RibbonScarf1_zps47ff3c7f.jpg

o

Thanks so much. That is lovely. It is also about the width that I wanted.

o

Oh, and I meant to mention that it is just a tad shorter than I would like. Next time I'll have to buy 2 skeins. Three skeins would probably make two scarves the length I'd like - one to keep and one to give away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here