Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wackytacky

knitting for charities

wackytacky
15 years ago

I've always wanted to knit for charities......but never found the time.

Now that my nest is starting to empty i finally have some time, and a lot of yarn laying around waiting to be knitted into socks or hats.

Does anyone here knit for chairites??

And if so, what and who for?

Comments (17)

• socks
    15 years ago

There's Warm Up America warmupamerica.com.

Also, recently some of us knitted scarves for the Special Olympics. I think they need to be turned in this month, but they might do it again for next year.

You can also knit/crochet blankets for preemie and stillborn babies, which means a lot to parents who are experiencing the loss of a baby or birth of a tiny baby. You'd have to check with your local hospital. I know first-hand how meaningful this is.

It's so wonderful of people to do charity knitting. You are kind to think of it.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

If you google "knitting charities" you'll find dozens and dozens to choose from. I do think giving begins at home, so if you have a yarn shop in your area, ask them if there are any local charities looking for donations.

Annie

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

I knit helmet liners for the troops in the Middle East last year. A military wife took care of shipping them to her husband's area. Some of them like to shave their heads and so get chilly when they are off duty. They also like to wear the helmet liners just sitting around off duty and when they sleep too.

• wantoretire_did
    15 years ago

I stay local as there is plenty of need right here. There are new moms who don't have a blanket to take baby home from the hospital. Our hospital nursery is always so grateful for baby blankets (and they are small and don't take a lot of time), as well as the little hats. Domestic violence center is always glad to get throws, afghans and little blankets for victims and children.

Is there a Project Linus in your area?

Depending on where you live, homeless shelters and/or schools always need hats, scarves, and mittens. Check around, you won't be lacking for worthy causes. Good luck and bless you for caring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Project Linus list of chapters by state/city

• suebdoo
    15 years ago

I started crocheting mice and clothing for the mice for a local laboratory in my town. For many children, having your blood taken can be frightening. It always seems to be just a little easier when you're holding on to a "well dressed little mouse" that you get to take home!

The pattern is a leisure arts pattern called "Merry Christmas Mice" and it's a great way for using up odds and ends of leftover yarn.

• tami_ohio
    15 years ago

Also, check with area nursing homes. Some like to receive donations of lap afghans for residents in wheel chairs.

One of the ladies who belongs to my local Thurs. knitting group is wife to the hospital chaplan. She organized what we call "Warm Hands, Warm Hearts". We knit hats and mittens for the hospital ER. If children, and some adults, come into the ER in the winter without hats and mittens, the nurses have a supply from us to pass out to those in need. We also make blankets for a local childrens shelter, so the kids have something that belongs to them and they can keep forever.

Suebdoo, I think I remember seeing that pattern! I don't think I have it. It's a great idea. We have also dressed teddy bears for the kids. Is it an easy pattern? I do crochet, just prefer knitting!

Tami

• debscrafts55
    15 years ago

I craft for charities all the time. I have the empty nest thing going on too and now I crochet or sew to fill up my time. I have a blog where I talk about charity crafting and post my original crochet patterns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deb's Crafts: Handicrafts for Charity

• suebdoo
    15 years ago

Tami

It is an easy pattern to follow.

If you'd like to send me an e-mail, I'll show you just how easy!!

Sue

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

We knit and crochet prayer shawls for people having chemo.
    We aslo knit and crochet lap blankets if they would prefer that. Most of the men do.
    Just make sure that each is a size that will not get caught in the wheelchair.
    Rosa

• gabriell_gw
    15 years ago

My church has a prayer shawl ministry and I have turned in two and have a third in progress.

Also I knit for The Mother Bear Project. These bears are sent to third world countries for HIV/Aids children. I don't know how to send a picture but I would suggest you check their web site. These bears knit up fast and are darling.

• socks
    15 years ago

Gabriell, I've made one bear and am working on a second. It's an interesting pattern available free through the DIY network. Link below.

I'll post a picture separately.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mother Bear

• socks
    15 years ago

This bear doesn't look that good; as you can see he has his problems. The faces aren't easy to do either! But maybe a little child somewhere will love him.

{{gwi:1572740}}

• suebdoo
    15 years ago

socks12345, he's really cute!
    I'm sure most children would love him.
    You did a really nice job.

Sue

• tami_ohio
    15 years ago

Sue, my email is t j c _ 4 2 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

Just remove the spaces and put it all together. I see you don't have an email link available on your page. I was going to send you an email that way. I keep thinking I've seen this pattern. It's been years if I did. I'm going to go downstairs later and see if I might have it, but I don't think so.

Thank you

Socks, that bear is really cute.

Tami

• gabriell_gw
    15 years ago

Socks12345 the bear is darling. I have three to mail and have already sent two. It makes me feel good to think they will make a child happy.It's fun designing the outfits. I don't think my faces are outstanding but as you say a child will love them. I don't know how to post a picture.

• emeraldjayne62
    15 years ago

I crochet for charities, right now we are working on a afghan of HOPE A TIME TO REMEMBER, its for cancer awareness for the uninsured, people are sending in squares to help or in the name of someone with cancer or that has past from cancer, the names go in a book along with the person who sent it for them, This is a traveling afghan it will be displayed in many places,in honor of all with cancer, we do fund raisers and bake sales and so on so if you want to knit a couple of squares or a afghan that would be great

• donna37
    15 years ago

Deb, thanks for the link to your blog, I bookmarked it and will go back when I have time to read. I'm needing some quick and easy patterns to use up lots of yarn that I have on hand. Have made two afghans that I will take to a local nursing home later, also a half dozen caps, some knitted, some crocheted to take to the hospital nursery.

Here's a link to a charity site that started locally and is now nation wide.

Here is a link that might be useful: newborns in need

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions