Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making popcorns with the afghan stitch

Posted by carmen_grower_2007 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 31, 11 at 15:14

I am crocheting an afghan in the afghan stitch and am having a difficult time understanding the 'popcorn' instructions. Can anyone here help with a simple diagram?

The popcorns are placed to create diamond shapes. I will be able to figure out the pattern if only I can make a popcorn stitch! If I can't do these, what are some other ideas for a interesting pattern using the afghan stitch?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making popcorns with the afghan stitch

I don't have that pattern, and it would help if you would copy that part of the instructions for us. That said, my guess is that you skip down one row, or two, grab the front loop of the stitch in that row below, and crochet into it several times as you do for a cluster, probably using double crochet. Finally, you make the last loop on the stitch, having had as many as 6 or so loops as you make the popcorn stitch.

o

OK, here goes:

Popcorn Strip - Make 4

With afghan hook, ch 33 and work row 1 and first half of row 2 in plain afghan stitch. Yo and through first loop, *yo and through 2 loops twice, ch3 (for popcorn)*, repeat from *to* 6 times more (7 popcorns); yo and through 2 loops 3 times, ch 3, repeat from *to* 6 times more, ending with yo and through 2 loops 3 times. Row 3 and all odd rows: Work plain afghan st., keeping popcorns on right side. (33 loops)

o

Well, I have done the popcorn stitch, but never in an afghan stitch using a long afghan hook. Did you change the wording of the instructions? It does not read as precise as a pattern usually will. I am unable to help you with this wording as I don't understand it myself.

I have knit popcorn stitches and have crocheted them, but never using the afghan or Tunisian stitch.

o

Thanks so much for your response. What really bugged me about this is that I actually made this same afghan about 40 years ago from the same pattern! My daughter who is out of state has it so I looked at it when I visited her last week. I figured it out once I saw it, but those directions were not very explicit.

The tricky part was that 'one half' of a row in the afghan stitch is half of a two-part row which all rows are. Anyway, I'm going to finish making my afghan the way I originally wanted (with the popcorns!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here