Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickey__mn

For those knitters afraid to try felting

Vickey__MN
14 years ago

I say...go for it. Wool of the andes is fairly cheap at www.knitpicks.com (or at michaels there is some wool I think it's pattons), you can get a free pattern at Ralvary.com and try it. The patterns knit up quickly, and then you go for it. I'm not an expert, but I have now felted 3 pairs of slippers (only posted a picture of one, but have done 2 pairs of clog slippers also). It actually is easy, and fun!!! Be brave, go for it and let me know.

Start with something fairly easy..a purse, slippers, a hat. From there the patterns and possibilities are endless!!!

Things to know about felting in the washer (easiest way)

1. I haven't done in new washers (the HE ones), or front load...so don't know how, if they work, so research that before you try.

2. us lowest amount of water possible

3. start to fill with HOT water, but don't put item in......feel the water as it goes in, it will start out cold...when you feel the water is finally hot...empty the washer, and start again, you want HOT water, not warm water.

4. when full of HOT water, put item(s) in, a dab of liquid laundry soap (not woolite)..just a dab mind you...throw in a towel (though I've been told this can make the felting very linty, I must have OLD towels as mine didn't get linty) or a pair of jeans to help them felt better, and adjitate away. Check every 5 minutes or so.

5. DON'T WORRY when it gets bigger before it gets smaller, that happens!!!

6. When it starts to felt and get smaller, start watching so you can catch when it's the size you want it. When it's the right size (if it seems to be taking longer than 20 minutes, empty washer and add more hot water, the water may not be hot enough now)...set the washer to spin to get all the water out (I've tried to get all the water out by hand..it takes about 3 days to day, if I let the washer spin the water out, it takes a LOT less time).

7. If it's slippers, put them on to get the right fit..if too small, pull gently to size. If to big, felt some more.

TADA you've felted!!!

You can also felt by hand, by I'm too lazy. I've attached a link to felt by hand.

BE BOLD, try it, it's easy and fun!!

Soo easy really.

Vickey-MN

Here is a link that might be useful: Felting by hand

Comments (22)

• gata
    14 years ago

I might add that you may want to enclose the knitted article in a pillowcase or net bag. I didn't do this for the first few times I felted, then I was warned to do so, ignored the warning, and found that I should have heeded it the next time I felted in my machine. The woolen fibers clogged up the pump that drains the water from the machine. My husband had to go in there and clean it out, and it was a real hassle. So, I'm making a big zippered bag (which I will also secure with a safety pin) out of very fine webbing fabric (mosquito netting actually) for the next time I felt.

That said, I agree--Go for it!! It is way fun to felt.

I have a front loading HE washer and just load the item, add a bit of detergent, set it to HOT and await the results.

• sooey
    14 years ago

Hi Vickey...what perfect timing! I am about to try some felting for the very first time. I just finished knitting a hat for myself using Lamb's Pride and can't wait to get started on the felting. The one sticking point I find myself at is the shape...I have no hat form. So, I am using a basket that fits my head. The pattern I used was a copy from a book which I do not have access to so I will be felting by the seat of my pants...not so sure about shaping the brim. First time may not be perfect, but it will be fun. Thanks for you advice.

sooey

• Vickey__MN
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So...how did your hat work?

Vickey-MN

• sooey
    14 years ago

Thanks for asking Vickey...I'll let you know tomorrow...

sooey

• sooey
    14 years ago

It is in the washer as I type...

• Vickey__MN
    Original Author
    14 years ago

SOOOOO...and the results are........

• sooey
    14 years ago

Oh Crap...I have pictures but can't remember how to post them. Don't worry...I'll figure it out...

• sooey
    14 years ago

Taaa Daaaaa! My HAT!

Before:

And After:

It's so FREEKING CUTE!!! I followed your instructions and it was as easy as pie.

...ummmmm...pie....

I digress...

I filled the tub of the washer with hot water, added a drop of dish soap and let it go. I started with 5 minutes, checked it, put it back in and let it go for another 8. At that point I knew it was working but had to drain the tub and add more hot water. I think in total, it took about 20 minutes of agitation. It was so much fun! I already have another hat started and cant wait to finish with the knitting so I can FELT!

I've been making socks for the past two years...socks, socks, socks. Everyone in my family who wants a pair of socks has at least two pair. Now I wonder how many of them will want a HAT!

So, thanks Vickie. It was just as easy and fun as you said it would be.

FELTED HATS FOR EVERYONE!

sooey

• Babka NorCal 9b
    14 years ago

Your before and after photos are an inspiration. It really is FREEKING CUTE!! I might have to try that out.

-Babka

• justlinda
    14 years ago

I like, I like.....

I think my problem would be how big to make it before the felting. Doesn't it shrink during the felting process? Oh my, I love it!

• Vickey__MN
    Original Author
    14 years ago

See, it's easy and fun.

Patterns have to be bigger, because YES they shrink. BUT there are MANY patterns out there that are MADE to be felted. Hats, Slippers, Purses...TONS. If you're on Ralvary.com...they have a lot.

I did the sock thing too (still love them and still owe some), but these are fun..they take so little time to knit up, stitches do NOT have to be perfect, and the final product is AMAZING!

And now for my piesta resistance...or however it would be spelled. For my birthday my DH got me a counter top washer, so now I don't have to waste as much water!!! AND I don't have to worry about the filter on my washer. I can't wait to use it today!!!!!! (yup UPS just delivered it about an hour ago). I'll post pictures.

• sooey
    14 years ago

Thanks, Kids! Yes...I am inspired to do more.

Linda...the before pic shows how large the hat was before felting. In the after shot you can see that I used a Trader Joes coffee can as a way to keep a wet hat up off of the surface of my dryer. That is a large coffee can...9" tall. That can is under the hat in the first pic...it was big. You control the final size of your hat buy how long you let it felt.

I used Lambs Pride in bulky with 10.5" needles. I was lucky to find that I had a pillow cover with a zipper in my linen closet. It was perfect for containing all the fuzz from the Lambs Pride. I also added a queen sized sheet to the tub. I had a basket that fit over my head which I thought would be perfect for shaping. I found that the shape was perfect but it left the hat a bit too large for me. I switched to a smaller mixing bowl which, while not perfect, was good enough to help keep the shape. The hat in the second picture is sitting on the bowl and the bowl is on top of the coffee can.

It was fun, fun, fun! Enjoy!

sooey

• sandra_ferguson
    14 years ago

Keep in mind, too, that you can dye your object and felt it at the same time. I purchased huge bags of wool yarn at a house sale...the only problem with it was it wasn't in colors I liked, but who could pass up a garbage bag full of skeins of wool yarn for $4.00? Not I, that's for sure. So, I knit something to be felted, then add wool dye in the washing machine and felt away....thus, I get the object I make in the color I like.

• sooey
    14 years ago

Wow, sandra...great idea. I have never tried to dye anything except tie-dye tee shirts. Wool would be an adventure, to be sure.

I am about to felt a second hat... I'll let you know how it comes out.

sooey

• sooey
    14 years ago

Wow, sandra...great idea. I have never tried to dye anything except tie-dye tee shirts. Wool would be an adventure, to be sure.

sooey

• sooey
    14 years ago

sooey

• sooey
    14 years ago

My second hat...

before...

And, after...

So cute and sooooo easy! This one may be a little big. I will let it dry and then see how it fits. If I feel it needs more time in the hot water, I will give it another 5 minutes. I wore my black hat for the first time yesterday and got two nice compliments on it...from strangers in the grocery store... It felt so good on my head...soft and warm. I love it!

Thanks...

sooey

• sduck2
    14 years ago

I love that hat! I just made felted slippers for Christmas and also use the pillow protector to felt. The first thing I ever felted was the free pattern on black sheep (booga bag) soon after I learned to knit.

Here is a link that might be useful: booga bag

• sooey
    14 years ago

Thanks for that link...what a cute bag! I would love to make one like it but make it just a bit larger. Too Cute! And using that Noro...just perfect!

sj

• sduck2
    14 years ago

Sooey, I'd love to make that hat. Can you tell me where you got the pattern? Did it use just one skein?

• sooey
    14 years ago

sduck...

A friend gave me a copy of her pattern. I have no idea which book it came from. I used 1 & 1/3 skein on Lambs Pride. It calls for 195 yds. I'll try to send you a copy of the pattern via email. Is tomorrow ok?

sooey

• sooey
    14 years ago

Can we no longer send emails via our members page?

sooey

Sponsored
More Discussions