Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Converting needles

Posted by stitcheasy2003 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 08 at 13:47

Hello
Has anyone ever taken a 2 needle pattern and turned it by using 4 dp needles or circular needles. I have Patons "Back to Basics 111". This book does the sweaters on two needles. I don't like sewing seams and want to make a sweater without sewing the seams. Is there a book made??? Can this be converted? Do I just omit 4 sts. being 2 sts on each side to sew up the seam. Thank you .
http://www.patonsyarns.com/patternbook.php?PBS=500563

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Converting needles

I have done this on occasion. I only omit 1 stitch from each edge, but I may seam things differently than you do.

I know I have seen information online about how to do this, but I can't seem to locate it at the moment.

o

There are patterns made especially for knitting with no seams. They're knit from the neck down on circular needles. Can't think right now of the author's name, but she's written books of various no-seam patterns.

o

I've made a few of Elizabeth Zimmerman's seamless sweaters and they are fun and easy to make with only small seams under the arm. I also converted one into a cardigan for my daughter. I loathe seams...

Rebecca

o

There is a pattern book out there with no shoulder seams--but if you look at the pictures of the people wearing the sweaters, they really don't fit well. These are not raglan sleeved sweaters.

o

I hate to sew together sweater pieces, or even knit pieces, for that matter, so I always knit in the round. I started with Elizabeth Zimmerman, many years ago, my introduction to circular knitting, but in the last few years have been using a book I heartily recommend to everyone....I also have a problem with trying to conform my own stitches to someone else's knitting....(why?), and the following book allows you to knit a swatch on whatever needles you want, and using this swatch, and a sweater you have that fits you, create your own pattern...they include a simple formula to use. This all makes MUCH sense to me, and I love the book. In fact, my old one simply fell apart and I recently bought a replacement, from Amazon...used, but perfectly fine. It's called THE SWEATER WORKSHOP, by Jacqueline Fee, published by Interweave Press, Inc, in 1983. It has lots of patterns and is easy to read and follow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here