Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
knitting question

Posted by ladybuglove (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 7, 09 at 12:57

Hi
this is probably a stupid question, but i have to ask.
I learned a little about knitting as a child but took to crochet as my favorite. I decided this christmas to knit my mother a sweater instead of making the usual afghan she seems to have way to many after years of recieving them lol. ( I am still working on it might nbe a birthday present now lol)

if I try anotther one in the future I would like it to be less bulky what is the best type of yarn to use to make a more delicate type sweater? ( I used simply soft yarn but it still seems to be a bit bulky)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: knitting question

I recommend MicroSpun by Lion Brand Yarn. It is a sport weight yarn and very silky soft feeling. I love it. The gauge on it. using size 4 needles is 24 stitches in 4" and 32 rows in 4". There are 2.5 ozs in a skein and it is 100% microfiber acrylic.
If you use a crochet hook with it the hook size is H-8 13 sc in 4" and 16 rows in 4". There are 168 yds or 154 meters.
It is machine washable and dryable.

o

If the purpose of the sweater is to keep someone warm, MicroSpun might not be the right choice. It is very soft, the drape is excellent, but it does not make a warm garment, and it does have a tendency to split.

daylilydayzed is right in steering you towards a sport weight yarn. I have had excellent results with Bernat's Satin Sport, but there are many brands available.

Good luck with future projects!

o

I like Encore DK--lovely to work with, not too heavy but still warm. And it's washable.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here