Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sweater patterns that are knitted without seams

Posted by Hallngarden (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 20, 05 at 11:25

Not sure if I make myself clear. I love to knit sweaters that I can knit the entire sweater without seams. My favorite patterns are from 1960, the old 2 skein , knit in a day with large needles. I start out at the top and after casting on for the sleeves , leave these on a holder, then I continue with the fronts and back. After completing the entire body, I go back finish the sleeves. For some reason, I don't find many patterns like these, most are knitting the fronts, sleeves,back, and then joining. Thanking you in advance. Hallngarden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sweater patterns that are knitted without seams

Below is a link to a pattern generator that allows you to plug in the guage and size of sweater you want to make, and it will produce a generic pattern you can print out and use. I've used it a couple of times, and it works well for me.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Top-down raglan sweater pattern generator

o

Crazyknitter, is that too cool or what. Thank you so much. Hallngarden

o

That's pretty much the way I do it....but I shape the neck by knitting and purling back and forth working short rows, after the neck ribbing for about 1 1/2 inches. The number of rows depends on the gauge.
I also don't cast on extra stitches at the under arm...but make the raglan line a bit longer.
It sure is wonderful to be finished with a sweater when you bind off the second sleeve.
I also do a cardigan the same way, and knit a button band when I knit the body of the sweater.
Linda C

o

There are two great books that I bought a couple of years ago and taught myself to do sweaters in the round.. takes two circular needles, and is fun to do.. a bit of concentration at first, but, then.. it really works!

The books by Mary Goodwin (you can find them online here at Amazon.com) are really good.. "Seamless Raglan sweaters from the top down" or something like that!

GOod luck! Pat

o

This calls for minimal seaming:
http://www.helloyarn.com/samjacksonsweater.htm

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATTsonnet.html

o

Thanks for pointing this book out, Pat. It's currently not available at Amazon, but it can be pre-ordered so they send it too you if one becomes available.

For the children's one there are currently 3 used & new available from $147.00 (!!) Wow. Must be good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mary Goodwin Book

o

Wow, Wendy.. that's amazing! I have both the books.. the adults, and the childrens...Mary has a site somewhere, and you can always order it from her..

Or.. let me know.. psdumas@comcast.net and I'll send you a copy of what you want.. they are fun sweaters to knit!

Pat

o

Again, that is one crazy price on that Goodwin Children's knitting book! I can't believe it..

Anyway.. here's Mary's email (from the original book I have) I believe she still is at this location.. hopefully)

mgoodwin@utah.uswest.net

Also, she's written a new book, at a better price of $14.95.. you can find it at Jimmy Beans Wool..
http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/onlineGen/currGen/MaryRichGoodwin/SweatersForEveryone.asp

Good luck everyone! again. 147 bucks for a knitting pattern book???? that's nutz! :-) And, if you would like me to send you some copies (I know this isn't kosher) but, I will... ssssh... :-)

Pat

o
Seamless Goodwin Sweater patterns.. again!

here's Mary Goodwin's website.. that book is a normal 14.95 here...no stinkin' $147.!!! :-)

http://www.onepieceknitting.com/products.html

Pat

o

You can find patterns for circular seamless raglans in any size you like here:
polo neck raglan (shown on man).

and here:
crew neck raglan (shown on woman).

They are pattern generators, so you enter the gauge for your own yarn.

Here is a link that might be useful: the knitting fiend (blog)

o

I am looking for a 2 skein, knit in one day, sweater pattern that uses large needles. I had one in the 60's but lost it. Would you care to share your pattern?

o

I almost never knit sweaters with seams. I find that with some creative adapting, I can usually modify a pattern for seamless knitting. About the only thing that will mess it up is the sleeve, I do sometimes still have to sew that to the sweater, but I still modify the patterns and knit them in the round.

Any raglan style sweater will be seamless, of course, and I knit a lot of T-shaped cardigans and pull-overs that have slits for the sleeve tops, so that I can just pick up my sleeve stitches around the armhole and knit them from the top down. These are going to be boxier than the extremely fitted (tight) sweaters that have been popular in recent years, but I find them more comfortable to wear over other shirts and blouses in the winter. I knit sweaters for their snuggle value--not to be in fashion. 8^)

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here