Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What does pm mean?

Posted by socks12345 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 19, 08 at 11:10

Here's a snippet from a pattern I received in the Barb Bettegnies newsletter (pretty Aran afghan):

Row 1 (RS): Work 6 sts in established Seed St, pm, work Pat B across 116 sts, pm, work last 6 sts in established Seed St.

What does the abbreviation "pm" mean?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What does pm mean?

place marker

o

Thanks...

o
RE: What does pM mean in knitting instructions

I have a Diamond Pattern Throw with the following instructions:
Row 1: *p1, (k1,p1) twice, k6, p1, k6, pM, rep from *
I have never seen this type of abbreviation (pM) and have no idea what it means. Can you help decipher it?

o

Place marker

o

I never heard of it either and have never seen it but now I'm armed with good info thanks

o

Ummm, I understand (now, thanks to your answers here in the forum) that it means place marker; however, in the pattern I am about to start it has in the first row:
Row 1 (RS): K5, pM, k7, *k2tog, yo, k8, rep from * across to last 8 sts, end k2tog, yo, k1, pM, K5
and then no further reference to the place marker in the entire pattern. I don't understand it's purpose? Yes, I am relatively new to knitting so please overlook the possible dumb question...

o

Once the markers are placed you simply slip them on subsequent rows. Their purpose, most likely, is to separate repeats. It makes it easier to keep your place when there are many stitches.

o

Thanks Donna!
Hugs and Happy Holidays,
Beth P

o

When you're knitting "in the round" using either a circular needle or a set of double pointed needles (also shown as dpn) you always want to place a marker at the beginning of the round so you'll know where to start any change in the pattern -- such as when you're knitting a hat and you need to start decreasing for the crown.

And, as Donna said, it's easier to keep track of repeats when you use markers.

in the pattern that BethP58 posted, it looks to me like the markers are there to designate the borders of what she's making (a shawl or afghan?).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here