Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rwisniew

Thinking of taking up knitting

rwisniew
17 years ago

I love the look of knitted hats and socks, I crochet right now. I remember knitting a wash cloth about 30 years ago! How long do you think it would take me to advance from simple scarves to hats and socks?

Sherri W.

Comments (9)

• tami_ohio
    17 years ago

It would depend on how well you like knitting and how fast you pick it up. My first project was a dish cloth. My second was a baby sock, my third was a pair of socks for me. The reason I learned to knit was to knit socks. Store bought socks slide down in my shoes. Knitted socks do not, as I can make them to fit my feet. Hats are not hard, either. Is there someone who can teach you? Learn to knit with double pointed needles to knit in the round. Knit a childs hat to begin with, maybe even a baby's hat, as a small project is easier to see your accomplishment grow.
    Socks are only difficult if you let them confuse you. The hardest part is the heel flap and turning the heel. If you read the directions a step at a time, and do exactly as it says, instead of thinking a mistake was made in the pattern, you will do just fine. I have made about two dozen pairs of socks since I learned to knit, besides many other things. Reading a knitting pattern isn't that different from reading a crochet pattern. In fact, I find it easier! But, I only learned to read a crochet pattern a few years before I learned to knit. I have crocheted longer than I can remember learning! I have been knitting for about 5 years now. A good simple basic sock pattern is Ann Norling's Basic Adult Sock Pattern. It includes instructions for 3 different yarn weights, from fingering/sock weight, DK weight, to worsted weight.

Tami

• ironkit
    17 years ago

I learned to crochet first, as well.

If you once knew how to knit, you'll probably pick it up fast.

And here's a really great place for help! link!

~ Kit

Here is a link that might be useful: Knitting Help

• bkfdwife
    17 years ago

huh...I came here this morning over from the quilting group cause I have had a semi interest in knitting. I have crocheted in my life, and was curious to try knitting now. Thanks Kit for the link! I shoulda just asked you! A question, can one use any yarn? We have alot of like red heart 4 ply around...and what size needles should I buy? Still a 10 1/2??
    THANKS!
    Lisa

• rwisniew
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Tami and Kit! I am excited to try!

Sherri

• HiDiane
    17 years ago

Like Tami, I learned to knit (after longtime crocheting) in order to knit socks. I learned with a few books from the library and the online helps, some of which others have already pointed out. I knit continental style - holding the yarn in my left hand - which is the way most of the people I know who started out as crocheters end up knitting.

After just making a "learning" piece - not even a scarf... just a bunch of rows for practice - I moved right into socks.

I made my first pair using the instructions here:

http://www.royea.net/sockdemo1.html

I really liked the instructions because they don't assume anything! VERY step by step. I made my first pair out of WoolEase for my dad and they turned out very nicely.

I love to make these now, too:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/PATTfuzzyfeet.html

Which is like knitting a HUGE pair of socks - then you felt them. You have to use wool for these because acrylic, etc., doesn't felt.

bkfdwife - you can use Red Heart to learn to knit. Use what you like... you will be staring at it a lot as you learn! Personally I prefer real wool... it has more give and is more forgiving with the stitches - but I know lots of people who just knit using acrylic and love it. As for needles - Check your local thrift stores before you go out and buy a bunch. Sometimes just mentioning to friends (at church?) that you want to learn to knit gets you showered with yarn and needles that no one else is using. Here at our local knitting group newbies are often handed what they need to start by people who have more than they need. The yarn labels usually indicate a suggested needle size.

Have a great day everyone,
    Diane

• bkfdwife
    17 years ago

ok ladies, I took the plunge! I bought a learn to knit kit at Walmart for $10 and a skein of a varigated acrylic, something I can deal with staring at!LOL
    Wish me luck!
    Thanks for the hints..
    Lisa

• HiDiane
    17 years ago

Like Tami, I learned to knit (after longtime crocheting) in order to knit socks. I learned with a few books from the library and the online helps, some of which others have already pointed out. I knit continental style - holding the yarn in my left hand - which is the way most of the people I know who started out as crocheters end up knitting.

After just making a "learning" piece - not even a scarf... just a bunch of rows for practice - I moved right into socks.

I made my first pair using the instructions here:

http://www.royea.net/sockdemo1.html

I really liked the instructions because they don't assume anything! VERY step by step. I made my first pair out of WoolEase for my dad and they turned out very nicely.

I love to make these now, too:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/PATTfuzzyfeet.html

Which is like knitting a HUGE pair of socks - then you felt them. You have to use wool for these because acrylic, etc., doesn't felt.

bkfdwife - you can use Red Heart to learn to knit. Use what you like... you will be staring at it a lot as you learn! Personally I prefer real wool... it has more give and is more forgiving with the stitches - but I know lots of people who just knit using acrylic and love it. As for needles - Check your local thrift stores before you go out and buy a bunch. Sometimes just mentioning to friends (at church?) that you want to learn to knit gets you showered with yarn and needles that no one else is using. Here at our local knitting group newbies are often handed what they need to start by people who have more than they need. The yarn labels usually indicate a suggested needle size.

Have a great day everyone,
    Diane

• ironkit
    17 years ago

Lisa -

Wool or a wool blend will be easier to learn on because the yarn has more give than acrylic.

You know where you find me if you need help. :)

~ Kit

• Maggie4
    17 years ago

Thanks for the sites. Knitting help and socks 101 great sites. I have been knitting for a long time but....with kids it was only the simple and quick things. Now I'm taking it up again. Tried my first socks, this site made turning the heel a lot easier. Refreshes my mind of a lot of things.

Sponsored
More Discussions