Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
originaleclair

I want to learn to knit or crochet.

eclair
9 years ago

I have no one to teach me.

Which is easier to learn for a beginner?

Is it possible to really learn by watching those how-to videos on the internet? Which one(s) are best?

Thank you for your advice.

Comments (9)

• frostythesewman
    9 years ago

Thank-God for DVDs.
    Also, buy an "h" crochet hook; a skein of white or a
    very light yellow or pink acrylic worsted #4 yarn; a pair
    of bamboo #11 knitting needles; a pair of bamboo #2
    needles. Your question cannot be answered without
    sending you to a business site. We Can't do that.
    I will say that learning from a DVD is the way to go.
    You can stop it and go slow, run it over and over...
    Good luck...

• justlinda
    9 years ago

I have found that the YouTube videos really great. These also may be stopped, turned back, etc.

Just type in: Learn to Knit Tutorial

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: YouTube Learn to Knit Tutorial

• frostythesewman
    9 years ago

I saw some titles being used, so I will mention Lucy Neatby
    DVDs. They cover knitting from start to finish. If I can't mention
    them, they will be cut. But if you get the beginning one, it will
    take you into many phases of the basics. Then order the more
    advanced concepts as you progress. I may have broken the
    rules by mentioning her DVDs. I saw other titles mentioned
    so I thought I would give it a try. Well, good luck. There are a
    lot of details that must be learned by the new knitter. It is nice when they are all touched on in a lesson plan, more or less.
    Your situation can be frustrating. The best way to learn
    is knee to knee with a master knitter. But, not everyone is
    that fortunate. So, go to on line tutorials, buy DVDs and let
    people know that you want to find a teacher. Word travels,
    and someone may know someone who knows a teacher.
    You will find a way...

• Lindsey_CA
    9 years ago

Eclair, most local yarn stores (LYS) offer knitting classes. And virtually all of the LYS allow folks to come in and sit at the table any time and get help.

• melissa_thefarm
    9 years ago

I learned to knit in the days before Internet, so I have no direct experience; I do think it's a good suggestion. My teenage daughter learns all kinds of things from Internet tutorials. All these suggestions are good. Also, while I learned beginning knitting from a flesh-and-blood person, I early got myself a book on knitting, techniques and patterns, and taught myself from that, becoming pretty good in time.
    On the subject of supplies, frostythesewman's list sounds good, except that I always found worsted wood yarn more stretchy than synthetic and so easier to work with, and I like wool for wearing better than synthetic.
    Melissa

• alicesadventures
    9 years ago

Craftyminx has great crochet lessons on the internet. You can go at your own pace and she also has the lessons for lefty's. Check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftyminx

• alicesadventures
    9 years ago

Craftyminx has great crochet lessons on the internet. You can go at your own pace and she also has the lessons for lefty's. Check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftyminx

• sweetkate01
    9 years ago

I learned both knitting and crochet in a matter of weeks of each other and practiced for a year and still love it. I found videos very difficult to watch. I got a book, some yarn and hooks and needles and practiced the basics for weeks until I was faster and satisfied with my stitches. I would do rows and then pull them apart and start over. I kept additional pieces nearby so that I could practice just casting on for knitting and chaining for crochet. I have discovered that crochet is much faster, more forgiving and easier to begin. Trust me, review some books and do what the pictures tell you to do. You can usually find someone who would be willing to teach you the basics too if you find yourself hung up.
    Good luck to you.

Sponsored
More Discussions