Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Astra Yarn comparible

Posted by janetc9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 8:07

Hey there - My mom was an avid knitter but is currently in respite after knee surgery (80 Years Old). I suggested that she knit to pass the time. The pattern she wanted to do was one she made for me over 20 years ago and I still wear, it looks great and every year I get compliments on it.

Problem! The sweater was made with Patons Astra Double Knit. I went into Michaels and she suggested I used Vanna's Choice. I dropped the yarn off to my mom but this morning googled an found that the gauge on the two is totally different.

Astra's was Approx. 121 m per 1 3/4 oz. 50 gm ball. Suggested gauge: 22 sts. and 28 rows to 10 cm on 4.0 mm needles. Does anyone know of an appropriate substitute? Thanks - I've only dabbled in knitting - Mom was so good that she could have the whole sweater done in the time it took me to do the ribbing :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Astra Yarn comparible

You really lucked out on the advice you received at Michaels!
Vanna's Choice yarn is listed (online)as worsted weight, and has a gauge of 16 sts per 10 cm/4inches.
As you have pointed out, Astra is DK (double knit) with a gauge of 22 sts.

In order to get a sweater that is as long-lasting and as good-looking as your 20 year old sweater you should have the same yarn. Just because your Michaels doesn't seem to sell it, that doesn't mean Astra is not available.

I just bought 10 balls of Patons Astra yarn last weekend - from my LYS (not a chain). I can't put my hands on it right now to see if it is DK for sure, but I am certain that it is. Can't you get it where you are? Are there any other yarn stores?

A substitute for Astra would be a DK weight of yarn - Bernat Satin Sport for example. It has the same row and stitch gauge as Astra. (But I would stick with Astra.)

Good luck to you. And best wishes for your mother's recovery.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here