Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OMG I'm doing it...

Posted by vickey__mn (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 7:37

I just started a sock using Magic loop, toe up, and after starting over once (seems I always have to start a sock over once), I am doing it! Not so sure I like using two circular for one sock, even 4 DPM's seem easier to do, but until I finish a couple of paisr of socks this way, I'll withhold judgement. After doing a couple pairs this way I will have to try a couple pairs doing two on circular...I want to try all ways before I decide which way "I" like best!!!

My name is Vickey, and I admit I am a sock addict!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OMG I'm doing it...

If you are using two circs on one sock, you aren't doing Magic Loop. Magic Loop is done on one circ.

Annie

o

There are so many ways of doing socks - one sock on 2 circs, 2 socks on 2 circs, either 1 or 2 socks on 1 extra-long circ, which is Magic Loop. I, too, plan on trying them all, both toe-up and top-down. So far I've only made 2 pr - 1 at a time - both on dpns. So many socks, so little time.... LOL

o

Shoot, so I'm not doing magic loop, I have another kind of sock to learn? Oh well, That means more fun!!!

Vickey

o

One reason I like to do socks (or anything for that matter) on circulars, is that I can put the stitches on the cord when I put them down and don't have to worry about the stitches slipping off. I like to throw a sock I am working on in my purse and off I go!

Rebecca

o

Does anyone have good instructions for the magic loop method (two socks on one long circular)? I have the yarn and the needle but can't figure it out. Got the stitches cast on but I guess I haven't figured out how to join them. I've been doing DPN socks for a few months now and I too am a sock addict!

Thanks,
Robin

o

Robin, google "magic loop method for knitting socks". You should find a video on line, or at least instructions on line for it. I will tell you, however, learn to do ONE sock using the magic loop method before you try doing two on one needle. I find it very difficult to do two. I do both socks at the same time using the magic loop method, but on two seperate needles. One on each. This way, I can make sure I start the socks in approx. the same place in the color variation when using the self striping yarn, and I do a little bit on each sock, switching back and forth between them. I fought with getting them both cast on on the same needle, then keeping the yarn untangled.

From another sock addict!

Tami

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here