Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
big bad baby blanket - different color border?

Posted by victoriajane (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 26, 11 at 6:38

Hello, I am an advanced beginner knitter and I would like to make the Big Bad Baby Blanket from the from Stoller's book - it has a wide seed stitch border all around with a stockinette pattern in the middle panel. The pattern calls for one color yarn, but I thought it would be nice to make the border and the inner panel in contrasting colors, only I can't visualize how I would do this. So, I start the blanket in seed stitch in color A and go for 20 rows. Then, on the first panel row, I'm supposed to do 15 stitches of seed stitch (for the side border) then switch to a stockinette for the panel (which would be color B). How do I make the switch in colors each time I finish 15 stitches of seed stitch at the beginning of a row and each time I get to the last 15 stitches of a row? I know I wouldn't keep cutting off yarn but I can't imagine how to do it. If anyone can explain it to me I would be very appreciative!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: big bad baby blanket - different color border?

You need a skein of yarn to work with for each color change. Also, you need to "twist" the two colors when you go from one color to the next to keep from having a "hole" at that time.

Practice with just a few stitches, aka, make a swatch.

Moni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here