Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgardenelf

Knitting or crocheting? Which one first?

newgardenelf
9 years ago

I would like to learn to knit and crochet. I've tried a few times but never had the time or patience to do so properly. I feel I now have both.

Which do you feel is easiest to pick up or best one to start?

TIA

Comments (15)

• justlinda
    9 years ago

Crochet uses more yarn, knitting less.

• newgardenelf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh netla that is so very helpful thank you.

Justlinda- good to know

I have a friend who will try me out at both and see what I take to

• frankielynnsie
    9 years ago

I have fallen in love with looming. It comes out as knitting-knit and pearl stitches, and is a fast and easy way to make a scarf when you have carpel tunnel pain in both wrists. My husband says I have gone scarf crazy. I have gotten a bigger loom for Christmas and plan to make a shawl in the near future. I can knit and crochet but have to limit the time I do them.

• barb_roselover_in
    9 years ago

I both knit and crochet, but I definitely have trouble holding the tension on the thread between my fingers in crocheting. I have rheumatoid arthritis in my fingers though and maybe that has something to do with it .I wonder if there is anything I can do to correct this. Barb

• newgardenelf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll look at looming- sounds interesting!

My hands aren't strong and when I've tried before it all ended up too tight but I think it might be a good way to relax if I can manage.

• frostythesewman
    9 years ago

If you knit, you will be crocheting and/or using a hook
    at certain times. Used for repairing a problem stitch etc. .
    Crochet can be learned more quickly and easily
    than knitting. It is just a matter of reaching into a
    loop over and over. The hook makes it easy to
    grab and pull the yarn through.
    There are many things to learn in knitting.
    Many subtleties and yarn manipulation.
    Start by crocheting. You will learn to handle the
    medium. Good Luck. Any way... that's my opinion.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I taught myself both from a magazine's basic instructions - crocheting first. I think many people will find crocheting easier to begin with because you manipulate the yarn with a hook rather than trying to pull it through with points. Getting comfortable holding the yarn and getting confident enough to relax (death grips and tight work are common beginner problems), while also learning to control that yarn with slippery points may add more frustration. Needle choice can vary with yarn, but using wood or bamboo when you are beginning may help with that slipping off the point feeling when you do try knitting.

My sister signed up for a Craftsy class online to get started. I have taken some baking classes and signed up for a knitting one to improve some skills. Haven't taken that one yet, but what I have taken has been very good. The fact that you can stop, start, repeat and ask questions at your own pace and on your own schedule make them very user friendly.

Hope that helps.

• yoyobon_gw
    9 years ago

I do both, prefer knitting by far.

As they say, Crochet is the ugly sister of Knitting !

so true........

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Depends on what you are making. Crochet works well fro some things, but I do prefer knitting for most garments. And a lot of other things. But it is still handy to know the basics and have a couple of hooks for repairing knits and pulls.

• oldgardener_2009
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I do both, but I prefer using a hook so tend to crochet most things that I make. However, I don't care for the look of standard crochet stitches, so I use different varieties of crochet stitches, and my crocheted items are as pretty as my knitted items, not "ugly sister" at all.

I think crochet is easier to learn than knitting, but I'd recommend you start with knitting and then experiment with crochet.

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

I've knitted dishcloths & scarves. It takes so long but bamboo needles help greatly with the slipping as I was forever loosing loop. I've made many beautiful crocheted things, afghans ,vests, slippers, dishcloths, doll clothes such as coats, scarves & hats, beaded socks for granddaughter, items for the house. I'm left handed & people think it's prettier than if it was right handed. A lot of it at our Craft Club is how the colors are blended. You can make a plain afghan or a beautiful one by choice of yarns & color placement. Most of us there prefer crocheting but all of us have used the knitting looms.

• grandmamary_ga
    9 years ago

Over the years I have been taught to do both, not very well but I can do the stitches. lol I have made very few items. A baby afghan, dish cloths, scarves. To me crocheting is the most relaxing for me. I can pick up a needle and some yarn and go to town. I call it busy work, not that it is really work like dusting. lol Enjoy and have fun.

• split_zones
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hello, folks!

I was an old "garden-webber" and recently found the change over.

If you have time to spend on the internet, there are zillions of free "how-to" videos for both K and C. Caveat: it is helpful to have a knowledgeable person show you the ones that give the best, most useful help... As with everything, it's a jungle out there. sigh.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I would say try knitting first as it's harder and takes longer. Crochet is so much easier and faster that, once you start, you may never try knitting, though IMHO, knitting yields nicer results.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions