Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slipping stitches onto holder--do I break the yarn here?

Posted by laurietx8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 0:35

I've crocheted for a long time and recently decided I WAS going to learn knitting too, so I'm a beginner. :-) I did a scarf and now I'm working on my first sweater (an Easy level Berrocco pattern). I did the two front sides first (smaller = less to rip out if I mess up), and they went pretty well. Now I just finished the back, except I'm not sure what to with the yarn.

It says "Bind off 5 sts at beg of the next 2 rows, then 5 sts at beg of the next 4 rows, end on WS. Sl remaining 35 sts onto holder for back neck."

So after binding off the first 5 stitches of the last row, I purled the rest of the row because I assumed I was supposed to finish that row. However, that means that at the end of the row, the yarn is still attached to the skein because I ended with "live" stitches, not bound off ones. What do I do with the end? Break it off and weave it in after doing the collar? I'm afraid it will work itself loose if I break it and leave it hanging there. Or (this just occurred to me) should I have ended the last row after binding off the first 5 stitches, cutting the yarn and pulling it through that last stitch?

The instructions for the collar don't say anything about using that yarn end from the back, so I figure I have to end it there on the back somehow...

Any help is appreciated! Thanks very much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweater pattern

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slipping stitches onto holder--do I break the yarn here?

You were right to finish each row after the bound off stitches. This is what made the shoulder shaping. Feel free to cut the yarn after placing those live stitches on the holder. Just leave in enough (about 15") to weave in after you finish. Don't worry, they're not going to go anywhere. You're doing everything right.

o
RE: Slipping stitches onto holder--do I break the yarn here?

Thanks, Donna. It's good to know my instincts were right. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here