Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurietx8

Slipping stitches onto holder--do I break the yarn here?

laurietx8
15 years ago

I've crocheted for a long time and recently decided I WAS going to learn knitting too, so I'm a beginner. :-) I did a scarf and now I'm working on my first sweater (an Easy level Berrocco pattern). I did the two front sides first (smaller = less to rip out if I mess up), and they went pretty well. Now I just finished the back, except I'm not sure what to with the yarn.

It says "Bind off 5 sts at beg of the next 2 rows, then 5 sts at beg of the next 4 rows, end on WS. Sl remaining 35 sts onto holder for back neck."

So after binding off the first 5 stitches of the last row, I purled the rest of the row because I assumed I was supposed to finish that row. However, that means that at the end of the row, the yarn is still attached to the skein because I ended with "live" stitches, not bound off ones. What do I do with the end? Break it off and weave it in after doing the collar? I'm afraid it will work itself loose if I break it and leave it hanging there. Or (this just occurred to me) should I have ended the last row after binding off the first 5 stitches, cutting the yarn and pulling it through that last stitch?

The instructions for the collar don't say anything about using that yarn end from the back, so I figure I have to end it there on the back somehow...

Any help is appreciated! Thanks very much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweater pattern

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions