Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dances_in_garden

What does this mean? Pattern, sock, help

dances_in_garden
18 years ago

Okay. Ruffled sock pattern. This is for the ruffle. The line in the pattern says:

K1. (yfwd) twice. *K5, slip 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th sts over first st, (yfwd) twice.

Question One:

I have never done a yarn forward before. Does it simply mean to throw the yarn over the needle once without actually knitting a stitch, or does it mean to make a knit stitch while holding the yarn in front rather than in back? In other words, "K1 yfwd twice"....does it mean to knit once then wrap the yarn around twice, or to knit two stitches holding the yarn in front?

Question Two:

K5. Slip 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th sts over first st. WHAT IN THE HECK DOES THAT MEAN? I have done a slip, knit, then pass the slipped stitched over the last knit and off right hand needle before, but nothing like this. What needle am I slipping these stitches from, and am I slipping them across to another needle or am I dropping them off?

Question 3: Pick up and knit stitches along the side of the heel flap.

I am assuming that I insert a single DPN (as a right needle) in the edge of the flap, yarn over, and draw the yarn through to stay on the right needle even though there is no left needle involved. Is this correct?

The rest of the pattern I can handle (now that I found the CORRECTED version from the publishers website LOL). I was so proud of myself for "getting" short rows, but I guess that was the least of my problems ;).

I found a single ball of coveted sock yarn, and tried what was supposed to be an easy pattern. I chose to skip the ruffle the first time, and was mostly done a sock when I realized there was a problem. Ripped back twice, got the same results, then discovered it was in the pattern itself. Now I am starting again, and want to do that ruffle!

I don't even wear socks, what makes me think I can KNIT them!!!!!!

Comments (5)

• ltfightr
    18 years ago

Okay. Ruffled sock pattern. This is for the ruffle. The line in the pattern says:
    K1. (yfwd) twice. *K5, slip 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th sts over first st, (yfwd) twice.

Question One:
    *YFWD(Yarn Forward) also means YO(Yarn Over). So if you havn't done that before it does mean to wrap the yarn around the needle twice.

Question Two:

K5. Slip 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th sts over first st. WHAT IN THE HECK DOES THAT MEAN? I have done a slip, knit, then pass the slipped stitched over the last knit and off right hand needle before, but nothing like this. What needle am I slipping these stitches from, and am I slipping them across to another needle or am I dropping them off?

*This is like the slip passover BUT you are going to do 4 in a row. If you want get a marker to show where the first stitch (of the K5). I like a small scrap of a different color. Someone once told me "Don't think about what it's telling you to do, just do what it says." So K5, take S(titch)2 slip over S1, S3 slip over S1, S4 over S1, S5 over S1.

Question 3: Pick up and knit stitches along the side of the heel flap.

I am assuming that I insert a single DPN (as a right needle) in the edge of the flap, yarn over, and draw the yarn through to stay on the right needle even though there is no left needle involved. Is this correct?

*There is a great sock demo that shows this every well. I think I have the link done right (http://www.royea.net/sockdemo1.html). Page 3 is picking up the gusset. That has been one of the best explainations I've seen on the web.

I hope this has helped you some and feel free to ask anything eles if you need too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sock Demo

• sandisew
    15 years ago

Knit over the next 20 stitches in pat. Does this mean to continue the pattern as is, OR knit the next 20 stitches no matter what the previous pattern was?? Thanks for your help! Sandi

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

I think it means to continue the pattern set over the next 20 sts. so you will be doing the above described pattern another 4 times.

• tami_ohio
    15 years ago

Hi Dances! Is this the same one I re-wrote for you on the ruffle a year or two ago? I know I helped you with a sock ruffle, but I don't remember what the pattern was.

Tami

• sandra_ferguson
    15 years ago

I looked at the sock site you sent, ltfightr, and boy, is that great. AFter not having knitted socks for several years I decided to do some this winter, and that gusset gave he grief....I finally got it, but this demo sure would have taken care of my questions...thanks for sending it. I've put it in my favorites. I'm going to be doing some knitting classes at a woman's shelter, and will sure print this out to take with me.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions