Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chenille scarf - knit or crochet?

Posted by jollyrd (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 5, 12 at 0:00

I want to make two scarfs using Lion Brand Chenille Thick&Quick, - one for myself, one for my SIL. I also want to incorporate the fun fur in the ends only. My primary question is - should I knit or should I crochet? I am pretty good at both. Here are the questions running in my mind:
- if knit - use garter stitch only, or any other stitch pattern?
- if crochet - what type of chain (single, double, etc)?
- if crochet - do I cast on short end and continue until I reach the length I want, or do I cast on the length and do few rows to achieve the width I want?
- do a fringe or not? considering that I want to have the fun fur at the ends

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chenille scarf - knit or crochet?

First, make sure you REALLY want to use chenille. I know it is soft and silky...but it 'worms' and can be difficult to work with. But since you are an experienced knitter, you probably already know that, and can handle it.

On to your questions: My personal opinion: Knit. Garter stitch makes a thick, even scarf which will lie flat and be reversible. And warm! With the thickness of chenille yarn, any pattern you might use would not show up well.

As for fringe - neither chenille nor eyelash yarn lends itself to a fringe - they unravel.

Again, this is just my personal opinion, and I wish you luck with your project, no matter how you do it.

o

Great! Thanks. You are right - I tried a crochet "wave/zig zag" pattern and it is a mess and you can't see or appreciate it.

I will try to remember to post pictures when done.

o

I did a scarf with eyelash fringe. I just tied a knot at the end of each fringe.

-Babka

o

Thanks for the hint about knotting the end of the fringe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here