Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Learn a new trick

Posted by kathyg_in_mi (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 23:33

At least for some of us.
How to make the degree symbol, instead of typing 350 degrees you get 350°. So simple.

Just put on the Number Lock on the right side of your keyboard.
Then hold down the Alt button and on the NUMBER PAD on the right side of the keybord type in 248.
If you use the numbers at the top of the keybord it wil not work.
Easy peasy.
Just thought I'd share with ya.
Kathy G in MI

This post was edited by kathyg_in_mi on Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 23:40

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Learn a new trick

Now how come I got the funny A before the degree sign?
Humf, it works, it really, really works. Honest!
Even tried to edit my post, but the A did not show up in the preview!?

This post was edited by kathyg_in_mi on Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 23:41

o

Go to View/Encoding and select Unicode UTF-8 and you will eliminate the symbol you're seeing. If you're using Chrome, Click the Customize button (formerly the wrench) then settings, then Encoding.

FYI, if you're using a notebook, hold down the Alt and Fn keys, then enter the ASCII number. A few common ones, Degree (°) is 0176, Cent symbol (¢) is 0162 and a round bullet (•) is 0149.

o

The Alt key + the numbers on the number pad can create all sorts of symbols, from the Spanish tilde over an n (Alt + 164) to the German umlaut over an e (Alt + 137). It's easy to experiment.

o

Hi Cynic,
I use Windows. Where do I find View/Encoding?
Not very techy here!
Thanks a bunch.

o

Woo Hoo! I found the encoding and now will try the degree symbol again.
350°
Now, let's see what happens when I post this.

Wow! It worked. Wait til I tell my kids what I learned today. Love to learn new stuff, useful or otherwise.
Once again, big thanks to Cynic!

This post was edited by kathyg_in_mi on Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 2:05

o

I had always used alternate 0176 for the degree symbol, but for some reason now on this board it does not work. It is something here at Kitchen table.

It looks like it worked just now. Will post and see.

Nope, when I post it turns into a little box.
°
ok, now it works, lol

This post was edited by hellion on Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 5:16

o

On my MacBook:
� is a bullet symbol (option or alt 8)
� is a degree symbol (option/alt 8 + shift)
� is a cent symbol (option/alt 4)

Curious... tell me if you see the same symbol I've posted & described? When I clicked on "preview" they all changed to a black diamond with a ? in it. What the ????????

I get all sorts of different symbols on each different # or letter or symbol key, then they change again when I add the shift key to the option/alt key.

o

29oF

o
RE: In case you are interested...Learn a new trick

See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old post at The Test Forum-degree F

o

� ok that worked, let me preview.
No, it has a ? in a black box, I'll try the unicode next. I already had it marked so it still isn't working :^(

o

Does my post made above at 7:36 correctly show the degree symbol to anyone?

To everyone?

o

Yes Chemocurl it is correct ...or shows correct here on the board. I just use alt 167 on any of the computers that we have at home. It is showing correctly as I type, now I must set the oven to preheat at 375º to bake my bread.

o

It's correct on my computer, Chemcurl.

o

Thanks threejs and patti43.

Is mine the only one that is showing correctly? I'm not seeing any others as correct.

Sue

o

It showed up OK on my machine, chemocurl. I have always used ALT 0186. Let's see if it works now. 28º

o

I use alt 0176. 350�

o

Now how come that came up that way? It was ok when I posted it.

o

Several number combinations will give the degree symbol as Phyllis pointed out.

Another way is to use HTML:
For degree, enter "& deg ;" without the space or the quotes and you should get °
For the copyright symbol, enter "& copy;" without the space or the quotes and you should get ©
For trademark symbol, enter "& trade;" without the space or the quotes and you should get ™

Also, if you're using a notebook without the keypad, you have the numbers on the keyboard, usually in the corner of the key on the center keys, either red or blue. That way you can still utilize the keypad features. I bought a USB keypad to add on since I use the keypad for so many things, and often use it for entering any number rather than the top row of keys.

Just a little more trivia for ya!

o

Oh, and you're most welcome Kathyg. Glad to help whenever I can, but you didn't even need me! sniff... sniff :)

o

I got a way to beat it............ I just copied and pasted it from another page I made.
Oh, boy I lost my saved page.

o

cynic, I'm not seeing yours as correct.

Is anyone seeing his right?

To me they all have an additional A or a with a symbol above them in front of what he was trying to post.

48oF here now.

Sue

o

37°F here in northern Michigan!

This post was edited by kathyg_in_mi on Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 20:44

o

Chemocurl, did you check your encoding?

Joann_fla, I've done the same thing before with some symbols. For a while I kept a list of the common ones I used a lot in AM Notebook and copied. Also taped a note on the monitor with the shortcuts for ASCII and Word shortcuts too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here