Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to me :o)

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 23:15

Linners

The meal between lunch and dinner, just as brunch is the meal between breakfast and lunch.

Comprehend Brunch, but linners is new to me.

Friend, dh and couple went for linners, yesterday.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to me :o)

new to me also, never heard of it

o

We have been going out for "linner" for years. Thought it was just our own term for eating out (or in sometimes) around mid afternoon. When we have "linner", it is in place of eating lunch and dinner. So it's breakfast, linner and evening snack for the day.

o

Love to learn something everyday! Never heard of linner but now I do have it in my vocabulary. Thanks..never thought about it. :)

o

Oh, that's an old Seinfeld term, from his stand up.

Can't say I've ever 'done linner', but it makes sense.

o

Oh, and Glenda, there is always 2nd breakfast, and 2nd lunch.... and Luppers.

Lupper is also between dinner and supper. :)

Moni

o

I've always called it Dunch. (kidding)

o

Thanks Glenda! You will usually find my husband and me at a 'linner' on Sundays, even if we didn't know what to call it. Come on up to Boston area, and we'll take you to one of our favorites here on the North Shore. The Rowley Pancake House ... lots more than a pancake though!

o

My friend who had linners the other day is from Syracuse.

Never heard of it before she said the word.

o

Quite a few seniors in our town go out to 'early dinner's'; and it is usually a discounted meal where the prices go up at four pm, I think.

o

We do linners a lot but we thought it was just an early lunch haha.

o

I remember this from back in the late 60s and 70s when everyone had to rebel against conformity. Linner, lupper, sporks and the other garbage. Never made sense then, and is sillier now. But another example of people needing to "rename" things to "personalize" them.

o

Don't see that as being rebelious and I go way back before the 60's and 70's.

o

I too have never heard of some of these, but us westerners don't get around much. LOL
Glenda, how did Thanksgiving go with your friend's son? Hope you both had a good time. Must have had leftovers as you said your GS cleaned lots of goodies up.
Marie

o

We do this all the time but didn't know it had a name. We just do a late lunch or early supper--about 3 PM. Glad to know it has a name. Sure have done brunch for years!! Often we like to have breakfast for supper. To me, dinner and supper are the same meal--evening meal. To Wayne's mother, lunch and dinner were the same meal--noon. Got me in trouble when we first married. LOL

o

marie, the meal went quite nicely with my friend's son. He stayed almost 4 hours.

I had two pounds of shrimp, so grandson had his fill even after having a big Thanksgiving with the other family before coming to my place.

o

We call it lunner!

o

New to me as well. Never heard that term.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here