Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do.

Posted by georgysmom (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 22:46

For the past several years I've been going to the same hairdresser. He is the owner of the shop and yes, despite the fact that he is the owner, I've always tipped him as I would anyone else. I also always gave him a Christmas gift at Christmas.
The last several times I've gone to another operator in his shop. I go every 5 weeks. So I've been going to her since October. I have an appointment Friday and am wondering, do I give them both a gift? The gift is in monetary form.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do.

No...just the stylist that takes care of you.

o

Sure, give them both gifts.
You've known him for years and probably
like him. It would be a nice gesture.

o

Gifts should be given from desire, not from obligation. My feeling is if you like him enough to give him a gift, give him a gift. If you don't, then don't. If the new one is doing a job that makes you want to give a gift, do it. If not, don't

There used to be a theory that an owner of a business shouldn't be tipped. I never subscribed to that theory. By that "tradition", a self-employed babysitter, lawn mower, barber, snow shoveler or any number of other situations wouldn't be "entitled" to a tip. I don't think it's right.

That said, you might also consider a cash tip for the new one if the current hairdresser deserves it and something like a plate of homemade cookies or a box of candy or something for the owner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here