Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just found Out

Posted by secsteve (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 22:38

That I lost a former co-worker that I had stayed in touch with for many years ago.

His wife dropped me a line on Facebook asking me if I was so and so. My stomach dropped immediately as I feared the worst. He'd been battling cancer for over a year and when I goggled his name I found the obituary. He died in June.

I found the phone number and called her. She said she searched for me after receiving my card. She felt bad that I hadn't been notified before now. I told her that at time like that, it's hard to remember who to notify and to not apologize. We then went on to talk for a good fifteen to twenty minutes remembering Robbie. I told her how he went to my defense when I was accused of being sloppy in my proofreading by a Navy Commander we were working for. Robbie told my boss the problem was the Commander was taking the work right out of the printer before I even had a chance to check it. We then talked about how he loved doing the Christmas Cards and how much she hated it.

She asked me to please stay in touch and I assured her I would. The sad part is he was only 50 and leaves her and two kids (one college sophomore, one a high school senior)behind.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just found Out

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend!

o

I'm so sorry, Steve! I am sure his wife will appreciate your staying in touch with her. We are never prepared for the loss of a good friend. Thinking of you!

o

I'm very sorry, Steve.

o

So sorry -- a loss like that, which surprises you, is bound to leave you in a bit of a daze.
Your calling her was a good thing! Sharing memories made both of you remember happy, admirable qualities of your friend, even tho I know it was bittersweet.

o

This holiday season must be very difficult for her and I'm sure your phone call brightened it immensely.

o

I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend. 50 is so young, and to still have kids at home, ugh, heartbreaking.

It was good of her to contact you, and for you to call her. I hope you can stay in touch. I think talking about lost loved ones helps so much. It helped me. I talk about my parents literally on a daily basis. It keeps them alive and well in my heart.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here