Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More GOOD bews for Grandson!

Posted by dorothy_oahu (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 22:32

I posted on Dec.6 that my grandson was accepted at Dartmoutt and today he got more good news! He learned today that he has gotten a full 4 ear scholarship. That's $60,000 a year that covers tuition & fees, room and board, transportation, and I'm not sure about books. I was so excited and in awe and grateful and proud of him. He has always been a really smart kid!

TUITION AND EXPENSES
Cost of Attendance $61,882
Tuition and Fees
$45,042
Room and Board
$12,954
Books and Supplies
$1,730
Other Expenses
$2,156

We were just getting ready to leave for Costco when he called and told us the news. I wanted to just run up to people and hug then and tell them the good news! "Attention shoppers, There is a crazy lady running around the store hugging people and babbling about her grandson." LOL

oK, I have to quit typing now because I keep making mistakes. Over excited maybe?

Thank you everyone who posted on my other post. Very encouraging!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More GOOD bews for Grandson!

WOW!!!

o

That is so fantastic!!! I would probably put it in the newspaper!!!

o

Double WOW

o

amazing!

o

That is so awesome! This is definetly the fun part of being a grandparent. I'd just want to high five everyone at costco! What an amazing accomplishment.
congrats grandma Dorothy!

This post was edited by toni_ne on Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 10:02

o

Fabulous!

o

Wow is right!!!!

o

You have every reason to be so proud. What a wonderful Christmas present for everyone!

o

That is absolutely AWESOME!!!! You have every right to run through Costco and hug everyone! What a wonderful Christmas gift for the family. Congratulations!!!

o

awesome for him!!! congrats!!! where you go to school, your perfect GPA and what you study is all that matters in this economy...believe me!

BUT there is ABSOLUTELY no way books are going to only be $1800. LOL...my DH just finished in May an honors BS & MS in Mechanical Engineering and had individual books more than $800 each...books alone in mech engineering ran $4000-5000 a yr. we used asian printers to get them for a few hundred less but you do not get your books till a week or two into the semester, sometimes the correct editions couldn't be printed. it is ALL worth it thou, as long as you are in fields involving math, physics, engineering or chemistry. ~ liz

o

Great, now he can enjoy the college experience without worrying about how to pay for classes each term. I paid out of pocket for my undergraduate degree and never enjoyed the college experience because I was always balancing work and school- but I also graduated without school debt so that was my reward.

I received tuition remission for my MPH and PhD programs. Even though I also worked, not having to worry about tuition may those years SOOOOOO much more fun!

Great job dorothy_oahu's grandson!

o

He is one lucky young man but I'm sure he deserves it!!! Well done.

o

Wanda, I can just see you running around Costco hugging--because I'd want to do the same thing. That is an incredible scholarship and he must have worked very hard to achieve it at his young age. Proud? Darned straight you should be, and he should be, too.

Guess we don't have to wish YOU a Merry Christmas. Santa came early and he was very generous!!

o

He must be an amazing kid. You go ahead and shout it to the rooftops!

o

Excellent! He must be a very bright and motivated young man. You must be very proud.

o

Was it an outside scholarship? I didn't think the Ivy League gave scholarships. Either way, it's awesome. I think a lot of people don't even bother applying to the $60k a year schools but the fact is they have a ton of financial resources. I went to a top 10 college and ended up getting my degree for $15k, which is significantly less than people I know who went to cheaper schools.

Anyway congrats to him! That is a great feeling. Student loan debt can be crippling.

I was never once asked my GPA after I graduated, but I will say that internships are the most important thing! Especially if he isn't going to need to work! I didn't realize how important they were until my last year of college. Also, some of the people I know who studied things they were interested in (psychology, medieval literature, etc) versus that which will land a high paying job are really struggling now. I picked Economics for the flexibility of going into statistics, data mining, investment banking, consulting or general analytical roles and it's worked very well for me.

Ideally people would be able to study whatever they want and still land a job they love but that's not the reality today. Sometimes it happens but usually it doesn't. I'm only saying this because it's hard to know that at 18 and I wish someone had told me!

o

Fantastic.

o

It is so good to hear good news. You have every right to be very proud of your grandson.

o

Dorothy -- You have a one-in-a-million grandson! I've only known two kids who got 'full ride' scholarships to a top school: The extremely intelligent and diligent son and daughter of dear friends went to Stanford for engineering degrees. (Of course they never returned to the cold Midwest!)

Does your DGS have a major chosen? Will he be coming from balmy Hawaii to freezing New England?

o

That is such a wonderful blessing to him and his family! We're struggling to get our last 2 through college with minimal loans.

o

So wonderful! He should be so proud of all of his hard work !

o

Awesome news...what an amazing story... Congratulations to your grandson!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here