Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sea Foam Candy

Posted by ivamae (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 22:24

I'm wondering if I make some now, can I freeze it until Christmas?

Also will fudge freeze well?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sea Foam Candy

You don't need to freeze them. They save well because of all the sugar.

o

I haven't thought of seafoam for ages. Used to make it quite often. I do remember you don't want to make it on a damp day. It won't "stay put."

Sue

o

Is this anything like Angel breath candy? All sugar with baking soda and vinegar to make it foam, covered in chocolate? We have made it yearly for a few now. It keeps quite well on a shelf in my garage with all my other baking.

o

No, it isn't like that. I never heard of Angel Breath candy. Sounds really good. Do you feel like sharing the recipe?

Thanks everyone for the advice.

o

Haven't made that for years....we always called it sponge candy. Now I want to make some!

o

I don't know anything about sea foam candy, except what I heard from my older brother. Evidently our dad used to try and make it....and I don't know if it is the high humidity here that made it so difficult or what, but my brother was laughing when he told about Daddy throwing the pot and all out the back door. Evidently it didn't set up right for him or something went wrong. :))

o

This has a lot of different names. We discovered it a few years ago and really love it.
2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup honey
2T lemon Juice
1/2 c water
1T baking soda mixed with 1t cream of tarter
1 pound milk chocolate candy coating, melted

1.Grease a cookie sheet. You can use oil, butter, or non-stick cooking spray.
2.Add the sugar, honey,lemon juice and water to a saucepan. You can stir the mixture, but it isn't necessary.
3.Cook the ingredients over high heat, without stirring, until the mixture reaches 300�F. The sugar will melt, small bubbles will form, the bubbles will become larger, then the sugar will start to caramelize to an amber color.
4.When the temperature reaches 300�F, remove the pan from heat and whisk the baking soda into the hot syrup. This will cause the syrup to foam up.
5.Stir just enough to mix the ingredients, then dump the mixture onto the greased baking sheet. Don't spread out the candy, as this would pop your bubbles.
6.Allow the candy to cool, then break or cut it into pieces.
7. Coat with melted chocolate.
8. Store candy in an airtight container.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here