SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19779803

confusion/memory loss?

User
9 years ago

Maybe my mind is working over time so I need some perspective from others who might have some experience with nursing homes.

I have an elderly friend in the local nursing home. I visit her most Mondays. Sometimes she is lucid and carries on a great conversation. Sometimes she is so tired, confused, and out of it she can't remember what happened today or some other time in the past that she thinks happened today.

When I was there Monday with a birthday bouquet, she was telling me her left arm was tingling and had been "for days". I even asked the nurse to check her blood pressure because she was such a funny color. I wish I would have written it down but I think it was 153/78. Could that be? The nurse said it was "a little high".

I was back on Wednesday for her doctor appointment. Monday she was weak and tired and told me she "was tired of it". From the way she said it I thought she meant she was ready to die. On Wednesday she was "fine". And by Wednesday her bouquet had disappeared; her daughter was there on Tuesday and said there was no bouquet on Tuesday. So from 4:00PM on Monday to 11:00AM on Tuesday the bouquet vanished and she didn't know anything about ever having had one. Do I report the missing flowers? To who?

I didn't know it then but she apparently slid out of her lift chair Sunday evening and ended up on the floor.

Since she has doctor appointments this week and I am closer than her daughter, I have been going in. We started comparing notes and I am wondering if she is not getting her medications like she should be?? Or is she getting the right ones? Something is very wrong with her. One day she is able to discuss the genealogical papers we're trying to sort and the very next day she isn't able to think clearly enough to tell me which family the papers belong to. And she knows she is confused and disoriented.

One other thing, the tingling in her left arm was not reported by anyone until I don't know when. Her daughter was under the impression it happened Monday night.

I know this is really hard to follow and had I known I would want a time line I would have paid closer attention to everything but it wasn't until today that I started thinking something was not right there.

How could I or her daughter check the meds she's getting or not getting. I know it's happened that people who work with drugs sometimes switch a placebo with the real thing and pocket the real drug themselves. Could the confusion and clarity that fluctuates from day to day be caused by medication or is it really happening to her and she's getting the correct medication? Am I being paranoid about it? Should I question what's going on or am I blowing this out of proportion?

Comments (19)

• susanjf_gw
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

omg that's a whole can of worms and even some of the better known places have things missing in a matter of minutes, or hours, sigh...fil is in heartland medical and while it's clean and fairly small, I've had differing phone bills from Verizon (an all he has is a small flip phone, sigh) and when he got mad at dh for not leaving money (and dh gave in) it was gone in no time...the flowers might be an allergy and considered a no no.. sure would be nice if they say something before, right?

the major problem is the change of doctors...you and her dd might sign her out and make an appt with her former primary care phys...the "official" nursing home dr is overworked and less than diligent...last in the situation of only one place close to family (like my fil..small town, and he'd be a s.o.b. at the larger city one)
    and the saddest thing? they are in the only place left to care for elders who cannot be in a home situation.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

She's in the same type situation as your fil. The doctor is the same one she'd see if we took her to the doctor's office as an ordinary patient. We've always given her flowers. I don't know why on that day they were suddenly verboten.

-and the saddest thing? they are in the only place left to care for elders who cannot be in a home situation.-

• Related Discussions

short term memoriy loss

Q

Comments (2)
    I just did a quick search. Not really getting deep into it. Is it ' Anterograde amnesia '? (WOW, reading part of that in the " en.wikipedia.org ", I find that benzodiazapines can cause this 'disease' also. Just even more stuff my doc never told me...more research I need to do)
    ...See More

Menopause and memory loss?

Q

Comments (34)
    I have recently been diagnosed with AAADD - Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder This is how it goes... I decide to do work on the car, start to the garage and notice the mail on the table. OK, I'm going to work on the car... BUT FIRST I'm going to go through the mail. Lay car keys down on desk. While discarding the junk mail, I notice the trash can is full. OK, I'll just put the bills on my desk.... BUT FIRST I'll take the trash out, but since I'm going to be near the mailbox, I'll address a few bills.... Yes, Now where is the checkbook? Oops..there's only one check left. Where did I put the extra checks? Oh, there is my empty plastic cup from last night on my desk. I'm going to look for those checks... BUT FIRST I need to put the cup back in the kitchen. I head for the kitchen, look out the window, notice the flowers need a drink of water, I put the cup on the counter and there's my extra pair of glasses on the kitchen counter. What are they doing here? I'll just put them away... BUT FIRST I need to water those plants. I head for the door and... Aaaagh! someone left the TV remote on the wrong spot. Okay, I'll put the remote away and water the plants... BUT FIRST I need to find those checks. END OF DAY: Oil in car not changed, trash not emptied, bills still unpaid, cup still on the counter, glasses still on the counter, checkbook still has only one check left, plants not watered, lost my car keys, . . . . where's the TV remote? . . . And, when I try to figure out how come nothing got done today, I'm baffled because... I KNOW I WAS BUSY ALL DAY! I realize this condition is serious... I'd better get help... BUT FIRST...I think I'll check my e-mail. Who was I going to send this to???
    ...See More

Is short term memory loss normal?

Q

Comments (11)
    YES! YES! YES! You are fine!! Gee if that's your biggest worry, you should sit back & feel good! I have to call my daughter from the video store to ask her what movies we've seen! I've also read that memory problems will resolve after a few years. Just continue using your mind & learning new things. The best thing for you is to stay active, work out, & most of all start lifting weights - that is the single most important thing we can do for our bones!!! I'm 51 & have been in menopause for at least 5-6 years. It's not so bad, once a year a period may sneak up, but we just trade it for a new set of symptoms.
    ...See More

My post - cholestrol drugs and memory loss

Q

Comments (10)
    I tried two different cholesterol lowering drugs, and both gave me bad side effects, mainly cramping in my feet. I told my doctor I was going off them and going to herbs instead. I now take Cholesterice and also Red Yeast Rice plus CoQ10. My cholesterol is great now. Doctor told me to put my hubby on the same things I am taking. I did, and hubby's levels improved. He is still taking Lipitor but doc cut it in half. Give the Cholesterice, Red Yeast Rice and CoQ10 a try. I hope it will work as well for you as it has for us.
    ...See More
  • Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

I'll start by saying this elderly person is very lucky to have as caring a friend as you are.

You're really between a rock and a hard place. I'm going to guess that it's her daughter and not you who has her power of attorney and who's responsible for her in a guardian/fiduciary way. If so and her placement is where either she or her daughter decided she should be, that's that. And the care is what it is - nursing homes are sad places, and even the best of them are not at a very high standard (that I've seen).

The question about her memory and good/bad days is probably best answered by her physician. Don't be surprised if her physician will only speak to whomever holds her P of A for healthcare.

You friend deserves to be comfortable and safe and to be given the care as prescribed by her physicians. It sounds like there may be gaps that could be plugged or maybe not. I'm not sure what else might be done.

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

I agree, there is something amiss, but then, she was placed in a nursing home in the first place due to inabilities.

I am no medical pro, so take what I say with a grain of salt. A drop in blood glucose (sugar) can cause confusion and loss of energy. In severe cases ,it can lead to a coma. If it happens during sleep time and after midnight, it may wake a person (luckily, a defense against slipping into a coma and becoming unable to take corrective action which can lead to a bad consequence, even death). The wakefulness prevents one from getting a good night's rest and they feel like dirt all the next day. Eating fast acting carbohydrates 'fixes' the situation, but not the tiredness due to lack of proper rest. That glass of orange juice in the morning can correct the blood glucose in short time and thereby hide the danger that happened a couple of hours before.

One condition that can bring this on is going on a diabetic diet to reduce high blood glucose without adjusting the insulin dose. This diet may be low in carbohydrates and as weight loss begins, glucose can remain fairly level for the first hour or 2 of sleep and then quickly fall to unsafe or uncomfortable levels. (In my case, it wakes me up and I can not get back to sleep. I check for signs of low blood sugar and make a measure with a meter if warranted. I use the reading to guide how much sugar I'll consume to correct the condition. Usually, its about 5 life-savers [equivalent to 1 tsp of sugar] The doctor reduced my insulin by 10% and the condition went away. The problem here is that it requires considerable self awareness to diagnose or a good watchdog person who checks on you often including during the night.)

Anything that restricts blood flow to parts of the brain can cause problems and may affect personality. Her tingling arm is a warning and that should be reported to the doctor. That could be nothing more than a sleep position that is putting pressure on a nerve bundle, or a cardiovascular problem. The blood pressure that you reported is on the high side and may indicate problems. However, one has to be careful how the pressure readings are made. Blood pressure can vary by several points a few minutes apart depending on surroundings and a person's state of anxiety. For example, if you carry on a conversation with the testee during pressure measuement, that can raise blood pressure by 5 mm of mercury. (When a normal adult converses, the body kicks in filters to control what is said an to prevent untoward speech, or to keep from revealing certain information. This additional alertness may raise blood pressure.)

If one has been engaging in an activity that was stressful such as driving in traffic, it may take 15 minutes or more of relaxation to calm pressure. Anger is a pressure raiser.

There are so many variables, that no one can second guess at this distance. However, I would follow up on the arm tingle with the doctor. He needs to know. Unfortunately, you may run into HIPPA restrictions here unless you are legally a care giver and have been given permission to discuss the patient's medical condition with her doctor. Without this, likely, you will be invited to "butt out"- a difficult situation.

• colleenoz
    9 years ago

I'm guessing you and the daughter probably get on fairly well. In your shoes I would have a heartfelt talk with her, and outline your concerns. I imagine that since you see more of her mother due to your proximity, you are more likely to pickup on issues. In the daughter's shoes I would appreciate it if someone would tell me they had concerns so I could address them.

• Georgysmom
    9 years ago

I have no advice. I just wanted to say you are a really, really good friend. I hope everything gets worked out. I think colleen's advice to have a heart-to-heart with the daughter is very good. That way she can become more observant on her visits, too. Now, with this uneasy feeling you can start to document everything. Sounds to me like they may be drugging her when it's not convenient to care for her. I would also take note of who was on duty the night before when you come in and she's out of it. You may see a pattern that way, too. It might be a particular night nurse.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

blood glucose. Yes. That might explain it. I will ask her daughter about that. The lady in question decided to go to that nursing home against the daughter's wishes. She's a very stubborn old lady! The daughter didn't want her in that medical conglomerate.

I am trying to stay at arm's length and not get involved in their family squabbles, and believe me, there are some! But as long as I walk softly and suggest it seems to work. My friend gets along better with me than with her daughter. They have always clashed. Sometimes I'm asked to talk mother into things or ask for clarification of things. Not every day, but when mother is being difficult and the daughter has reached the end of her patience, she will ask me to intervene. All in all it's a better solution anyway. No one ends up upset over the problem.

Thanks for the support. My friend has an MRI today but I will ask her daughter about blood sugar and if they have checked it or are checking it or what. That just makes so much sense to me. I hope that's all it is. She was 93 on Monday.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

georgysmom, That thought crossed my mind, too. Actually, that's what got my train of thought going to the question of overdose or under dose. That is something I will suggest to her daughter. I don't want to raise an alarm over the wrong thing but.........something is not right.

• sleeperblues
    9 years ago

I would doubt her confusion and memory loss are from staff giving her placebos. More likely they are GIVING her something that is causing the problem. Perhaps a nightly sleeping pill or something for agitation, like xanax or haldol. Haldol is a big one in nursing homes and it is a bad drug (IMO) for elderly folks to have. It has a really long half-life, so stays in the system for a long time. I would first check to see what her medication list is. They probably won't tell you, but should tell the daughter. Have them explain what each med is for. If she is being given anything that would affect her brain or mood, that may be your problem.

• grandmamary_ga
    9 years ago

Your friend is lucky to have you. I was surprised when you mentioned that the medication might not be given to her and exchanged for a placebo. That would be the first red flag for me. I would have her daughter mention that to her doctor if she thought that could be a problem The flowers are a small thing. My mother in law would throw away flowers and not even realize she had done it. Could this be the problem? I hope you and her daughter are able to find out what is going on with her health.
    Mary

• alisande
    9 years ago

Good advice above. The only thing I'll add is to forget the flowers. My husband was in a nursing home for several years, and everything disappeared from his room, even stuff I'd marked clearly with his name.

After he died, I said I would come in for his things. "Oh, you don't have to do that," they said. "We'll gather them up for you and give you a call."

When I went to pick them up, they were in big black plastic garbage bags. I had no idea he had that much stuff at the nursing home. When I got home and opened the bags, I discovered most of the things weren't his--and most were in throw-out condition.

This was known as the best nursing home in the area. At least I do know they served better food than most.

• FlamingO in AR
    9 years ago

Certain kinds of illnesses/dementias also wreak havoc with blood pressure fluctuations. My mother's can go from really low to really high in a matter of minutes. She's 93 and has Parkinsonism and AF.

I just hate that people in homes have things stolen from them. I guess she should only have things brought to her that are so personalized, no one else would want them. Like photo/afghans, where no one would steal it because it was all photos of HER family, for example. Or things with her name embroidered on it, or burned into it, etc. Grrrrr.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sleeperblues, Thanks for that advice. Haldol rings a bell, I don't know why. But there isn't any other reason for me to have heard of it.

Mary & alisande, We'd be thrilled if she threw something away! She hoards everything!

she often says things are missing but her organization skills are not up to par. The piles on the night stand, bed table, side table and computer desk tip over frequently and she is forever asking me to look for something in one of those piles. There is an old rocking chair in the corner but you can't see it for the stuff piled on and around it. It's possible the bouquet is in there somewhere! She prints off every email she gets and if there's a picture attached she prints multiple copies of it over a period of time. I have to do a sleight of hand to throw printed messages away. Even a simple "it's raining today" message from 2 years ago is printed off and saved.

I will check on glucose and Haldol today. At least I feel like I'm doing SOMETHING.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

The only way that you would be able to properly help with whatever meds she is taking is to get a signature that you qualify as a Health Care Power of Attorney. As a HCPOA, you can attend and have input at her care plan meeting that happens every 90 days as required by Medicare. Otherwise, you are out of the picture with meds.

Her primary might be good physician; however many don't know enough about aging and the problems that occur. Please ask whether that person has a lot of experience with geriatrics and in particular those in a nursing home. If the scope of practice is only Family Practice, then the training and such might not be appropriate for your friend.

Dementia (of which there are several kinds) can come out many different ways. Don't assume that it is Alzheimer's, as it might be something else. There are health issues that also show confusion. Again, you probably don't have access to her medical records to determine whatever diagnoses are listed. Ask the family member for a copy, if you feel it would help the situation.

Most nursing homes are divided into separate areas (hospital rehab, long term and dementia for instance). Each of those units should have a salaried person in change, find that person and ask questions. Don't be confrontational, but explain your concerns. There should be a social worker on site, ask that person some of the same questions.

Another way to get on the good side of the staff is to provide 'treats' of some kind. Not just for the day shift, but for all care givers in that area.

I am not a health care worker (the missus is a geriatric NP), but I worked in the nursing department of a nursing home for almost five years. I learned a lot while being there.

Jim

• frostedcharisma
    9 years ago

Nursing homes are highly regulated. Blood pressure, food/fluid intake, medications, are all documented. If the daughter is concerned, she can request a meeting with the director of nursing, to discuss her mom's care. If the daughter is still not satisfied, there's a state ombudsmen advocate, she can contact.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

You're getting lots of good and thoughtful advice here, I'd just add I've seen loved ones who have experienced periodic confusion due to low blood oxygen levels. My SIL thought for a few years that her father was having some dementia that didn't quite make sense to me. If tired, overheated (warm day for his grandsons graduation), there were some problems - but a good nights sleep in an air conditioned house and he was totally bright, cognitive and conversational. He had a valve failing in his heart, no dementia - what we were seeing was low blood oxygen.

Something similar happened to my own father in law when he mixed up medications and inadvertently quit his diuretic, fluid around his heart caused low blood oxygen and a few frightening days that were resolved with a hospital stay.

I wish you luck and hope you can help to resolve this for her best outcome, clearly you are worried.

• ruthieg__tx
    9 years ago

Posted by frostedcharisma (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 5, 14 at 11:13

Nursing homes are highly regulated. Blood pressure, food/fluid intake, medications, are all documented. If the daughter is concerned, she can request a meeting with the director of nursing, to discuss her mom's care. If the daughter is still not satisfied, there's a state ombudsmen advocate, she can contact.

What she says is so true...an there is a medication nurse that gives out all meds on each shift and she must keep very good records....It isn't done by just anyone and everyone.....I am sure there has been an unscrupulous nurse somewhere along the line but 99.44 % of them take the medication very seriously...

• chisue
    9 years ago

Having regulations and having them followed are two different animals. Most nursing homes have minimal staff and will only get an (advance notice) inspection every few years -- by an overworked dept. of public health. Having regulations is meaningless by itself.

I know it is a challenge to adequately care for elderly, ill, often cantankerous patients. However, facilities are often free to operate without careful observation *because* few patients have friends or family who visit often and who will challenge the facility -- and because the people receiving the services are elderly, ill, cantankerous, and totally dependent on staff.

The nursing home in my former town was owned and operated by the MD who was also the town's director of public health. The skilled nursing facility in my late mother's retirement home was directed by a felon who had no training for his position.

You are the *rare* friend who visits often and who can stand up for your aged friend. Many facilities are understaffed (with underpaid workers), especially so at night. Rendering patients quiet with meds is a common practice. Because each patient represents income to the facility, unless there's an endless waiting list of paying patients, management has a vested interest in keeping patients *alive*, but not *lively*.

(I may be entirely wrong about THIS situation, but I'm writing from my own experiences as an individual and as a former board member of my local visiting nurses assoc.)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much, Jim-1, frostedcharisma, morz8, ruthieg__tx, & chisue. All things I can look into and all things I can discuss with her daughter. The low oxygen is something I had thought of originally but then my brain got so overloaded with "what if" and so many concerns I forgot to ask about the oxygen/blood. I had a 2 minute visit with the nurse on duty today. And now they know that we are aware of "things". No confrontation or accusations, just telling my observations and wondering if her life was winding down. I don't believe in keeping pets or people alive just so they are still breathing. I will be sad when she isn't here any more but I would never vote to keep her alive just so I had her here to talk to.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm