Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you make pulled pork in crockpot?

Posted by pump_toad (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 21:50

On a whim today I bought a pork shoulder roast for pulled pork sandwiches. I have no idea if I should use a barbecue sauce or just herbs for seasoning. I want to cook in a crockpot. Anyone have a recipe that you have used and like? I need help because I don't cook pork often or use a crockpot. Why or why did I do this.....
Lois

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you make pulled pork in crockpot?

super easy make it this way all the time and everyone loves it. If the meat is fatty trim as much as possible.
Cut up an onion in round slices put that in the bottom of the crockpot this keeps the meat from sticking, put your meat in, pour an entire bottle of Sweet Baby Rays brown sugar bbq sauce. make sure that the meat is slathered up.
The end lol, seriously that's it. I cook it on high for about 4hrs in my slow cooker then lower temp and keep cooking till the meat is shredding on its own, take 2 forks and start shredding up the meat in the pot stir it up. Serve out of the pot.

Here is a link that might be useful: sweet baby rays

o

Go to Allreceipe.com and type in pulled pork. They have a recipe for crock pot using a bottle or can of root beer and a bottle of bbq sauce.

o

I don't like too much BBQ sauce because it tastes too sugary to me. I cook the meat in the crockpot with a packet of Lipton onion soup and a little boiling water. After 4 to 6 hours, I trim off the fat and shred it, add a little BBQ sauce to some cooking liquid and drizzle it over the shredded meat. Tastes great with good dinner rolls or Kings Hawaiian Rolls.

o

I cut the pork loin in half...Horizontally...put in half bottle of SWEET BABY RAYS' and a Half Bottle of JACK DANIELS BBQ Sauce...and a l/4 C of Apple Cider Vinegar...simmer on low for about 4 hours...

then I dump out the liquid...(I save it for the doggies and put a couple of tablespoons over their doggie food)...

Put the remaining half bottles of BBQ back in the CrockPot...pull the pork apart with two forks...dump it back in and simmer for another 2-3 hours...

We all love it!! I make a pot every week...give some to one son/DIL and the rest gets eaten by my hubster, me and other son...who takes it to work for lunch everyday...it's yummy!

o

Instead of the usual simmer in BBQ sauce I prefer to use a dry rub and cook it, shred it then add some sauce. That way you can even get a little of the crusty bark that is so much more flavorful than simply boiling the meat in sauce.

I usually add a little sauce for flavor after shredding and let it go a little longer and let the meat taste come through and have more sauce available for those who want more. Doing it this way you have the flavor in the meat instead of only in the sauce. I think it makes better leftovers too.

o

I usually do it in two steps. Cooking it first in water in the crockpot and then shredding it and heating it up with a vinegar-based BBQ sauce.

Crockpot Pulled Pork BBQ

10 lbs Pork (cut into 2" cubes) (or beef or chicken or mixed)
2 large vidalia onion (slices into 1" thick slices)
10 whole cloves

32 oz bottle of vinegar-based BBQ sauce

Place onions, meat and cloves in large crockpot with enough water to cover. Cook on High for 2 hours, turn to low, and cook overnight.

Remove meat chunks with slotted spoon, reserve 2 cups of liquid, and discard rest of liquid and the onions and the cloves.

Pull apart and shred meat chunks with forks, and return it to the crockpot. Add the BBQ sauce and cook on low for another two hours minimum, adding some of the reserved liquid periodically if the meat starts to get too dry.

Serve directly from crockpot with hamburger buns and another jar of BBQ sauce (or two) for people to use as a condiment.

o

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I thought this was going to be a difficult task but actually it looks quite simple now..........

o

This may sound weird but we like it - put the pork roast in the crock pot with about 1 liter of A&W root Beer. Cook on high till it gets going then reduce to low and let cook till meat seperates easily. Pull pork into the size peices you want, then return to clean pot with whatever BBQ sauce you want. We like Krafts Sweet and Sweet Baby Rays's Brown sugar. Hubs adds a little Haberno on his bun.

o

This recipe is for beef, but I've used it for pork and chicken. I cook it on high until it's shreddable. (Chicken cooks faster than beef or pork.) We love it.

2 1/2 to 3 lbs lean chuck roast or bottom round
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup wine vinegar
2 tablespoons spicy mustard or Dijon
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Preparation:

Place beef roast in crockpot. Combine remaining ingredients; pour over roast. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours. Remove roast, shred meat. Place shredded meat back in crockpot; stir to coat well. Spoon barbecued beef onto toasted sandwich buns and serve with extra sauce, if desired.
Serves 6 to 8.

o

I throw mine in the crock pot at night. Trim a little bit of fat off if too much on it. Do not add water. Start at high, then to low for the rest of the night. In the morning take out and shred the pork. I use Sweet Baby Ray's Original barbecue sauce because it is gluten free.
All ways good and you can feed a lot of people. Usually end up with 2 crock pots to get enough to feed all of us in the summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here