Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for wine lovers.........

Posted by georgysmom (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 21:38

A friend gave me a bottle of wine last year. She bought it because she loved the label. it has a picture of a young lady 1940's style and it's called Chocolate Box. It says strawberry chocolate on it and at the very bottom says sparkling shiraz. I have no idea what its like and what to drink it with. Is it for after dinner? Like a dessert wine? What would anyone's guess be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for wine lovers.........

This review doesn't explain the "strawberry chocolate," so I don't know what to make of that. I've never had sparkling shiraz, but I've wanted to try it. I like regular shiraz. It's a red wine, and not sweet. I would serve yours before and/or during dinner.

Maybe Lindsey can add more.

o

This afternoon company and I sipped on Chocolate Shop, The Chocolate Lover's Wine.

Red Wine with Natural Dark Chocolate.

Tasty, but not over powered by the taste of chocolate.

I had half a glass and the rest emptied the bottle. Wasn't a large wine bottle, but there were 4 of us and was just the right amt.

Didn't answer you question, but I don't think it would be good to serve during dinner. Before or after.

I served it in champagne glasses half full cause we were sipping :o)

o

Found this by Googling-

"Chocolate Box

Colour: Dark Garnet, showing purple hues. Bouquet: Enticing ripe raspberry and plum aromas with sweet licorice hints supported with light toasty oak, adding a subtle layer of complexity and balance. Palate: Luscious full bodied wine, with subtle tannin and an explosive mouthful of flavour. Food Matches: Not only is this a traditional Christmas wine, it is also perfect for every celebration. This delicious wine is wonderful with Brunch, also complimenting any after dinner plate of cheese, fig, fresh pear and savoury crackers."

It doesn't sound like one of those chocolate wines, maybe it's just the name. A man at the wine store near us told me that instead of buying a chocolate wine, most people prefer to buy a good red wine and also some really good chocolate, to consume together rather than the bottled chocolate wine. After tasting one at a party last week, I'd have to agree. No one was really enjoying that bottle.

Here is a link that might be useful: The wine-

o

Amazing how much my company enjoyed our chocolate wine :o)

o

Did I hear my name? :-)

First, not everyone who likes red wine likes Syrah/Shiraz. Of course, the same can be said for every varietal, so that's neither here nor there...

My first and perhaps most important question is -- how has the wine been stored for the last year? Has it been standing upright in a kitchen cupboard? Wine should be stored on its side (preferably with the cork a little lower than the bottle itself -- so it would be on a slight angle) and it should be kept cool. Wine is properly cellared at 58 degrees, so if the bottle has been kept upright anywhere where the temperature is in the high 70s or higher... well, I personally wouldn't drink it. Heat and air are the two biggest "enemies" of wine. Storing it on its side keeps the cork moist. If the cork dries out, it shrinks, which allows air into the bottle, which will destroy the wine.

If the wine has been properly stored, I would think it might be best to serve it after dinner -- with dessert.

But, that's only my opinion, and your mileage may vary.

o

I agree 100% wth Lindsey.

o

Our party people likened the chocolate wine we tasted to drinking a mildly spiked Yoo-Hoo, or chocolate flavored Pepto Bismal. It was thick and creamy and completely different from the type of wine that is being asked about by Georgysmom. It was more of an after-dinner liqueur.

o

I admit to being slightly snobbish about red wine--don't like most bar wines, nor flavored wines, nor most homemade wines. But at a party last night I had a glass of someone's homemade black currant wine and found it delicious. Fruity, but not sweet at all. I'll have to find out who made it so I can compliment him/her.

o

Flamingo, that's the exact bottle of wine i have.

Lindsey, it's been stored on its side on a wine rack. My house is always cold, no where near 70 (I wish) so I'm sure it's fine. LOL. I was thinking after dinner, also. DD and SIL will be coming over after Christmas. She has taken the Sommelier course at Northwestern, but I never thought to ask her about it. Silly me. If nothing else, we'll have a good laugh. I remember when she was getting married, we didn't recognize any of the wines the venue was offering so we bought a few and taste tasted them. One was so bad I kept saying this is the worst wine I ever had, but we sat and drank the whole bottle laughing the whole way threw it.

Thank you all for your input....I'll let you know how it was.

o

I'm answering under my mommys name because I joke about chocolate wine with dh all the time. I have always thought an appropriate pairing would be Kraft Mac and cheese or perhaps those horrific cheesy hot dogs :p.

That said....I joked too much. Santa brought me a bottle of the cra.....ummm stuff :p I have to go out and buy some Mac and cheese for Christmas dinner to teach "Santa" a lesson :).

o

Enjoy and have a good laugh like we probably will. Hey, we might be shocked and actually like it. One thing for sure, I'm going to save the empty bottle just for show and memories, too. LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here