Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Years tradition

Posted by nannybird (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 20:52

Last year someone wrote about burying money on New Years Eve and digging it up on New Years day.

Does this sound familiar to anyone, or am I just crazy. Was trying to tell my daughter about it. I couldn't remember all the details.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Years tradition

Yes that would be me I have done it for many years

On New Year eve any time before midnight you dig a hole and bury the money while saying I am burying my debt and misfortune. Then on New Year day you dig it up while saying I am uncovering my wealth and fortune.

The thing is that money can never be used so keep that in mind. I have mine in a ziplock baggie and add my new dollar each year.

This will work with a flower pot if the ground is frozen. I just put it a few inches deep.

This is supposed to ensure that you get unexpected money during the year
For us it has worked.

o

Thank you for the quick response. I thought it was you but wasn't sure. I searched but couldn't find anything about.

I still have my dollar from last year. Don't know if it helped but thought it couldn't hurt.

o

There's several hits on Google about it too, it is a very old tradition. I always lay the spoon or shovel on top so I can find it. Around here I have to put a pot over it so the critters of the night don't get it lol

o

I was thinking of that same tradition too Nanny. Thanks for mentioning it.

We just had our first major snowfall, and the ground is frozen.

Does the coin have to be buried outside RC, or can I bury it inside in a potted plant?

o

Raven posted about this last year. I did it! Much to
my husband and son's mirth, I might add. This year we
had some big bills and we always had enough money to cover
them! I'll be doing it again on Monday evening!

o

I've always shook my empty purse at the moon. My family thinks it funny when right after the ball drops, I'm outside shaking my purse. I heard it suppose to keep money coming in all year round.

o

jasdip you can put it in the dirt in a pot but according to the info i was given it has to be out outside your door ,so outside. a balcony is fine too.

one year after doing this we got a check in the mail for a few hundred, we had no idea, but it was a class action suit and we were one of the recipients, i had to do some calling to make sure it was real. It was. That sure was unexpected.
My thought is it sure can't hurt lol

o

Thanks RC! Outside is good, I can do that!

Right now I have a toonie (2 dollar coin) wrapped in plastic, ready to go. Figured a toonie might get more attention to the "Gods" than a loonie (1-dollar coin) LOL

o

Great! I put mine in a little zip lock bag so they don't get all full of dirt too.

o

well we will see if it works by burying it in the snow instead. The ground is frozen here in SD and i dont have any potted plants to bury it in.

o

I've never heard of this before. You dig it up one day after you bury it? What do you do with the cash you bury? Store it until next year?

o

I remembered to do that this evening! Had my dollar from last year and added another dollar. The ground was frozen some so it is barely in the ground! I figure it worked for me last year so glad I thought to do it again~ :)

o

the money can never be used, I have a ziplock baggie with the money from past years just add to it every year. You can pass it on or donate it or just keep it.

Yes you bury it today New Year eve before midnight then dig it up anytime New Year day, in fact you can bury it at say 11pm tonight, wait till after midnight so it is the 1st and dig it up.

I buried mine this afternoon.

o

I just went out in the freezing cold to bury a dime in the ground. I hope it works. Happy new year everyone!

o

I wonder if you have to keep adding the same amount as the year before....but just to be safe...I did; I'm not taking any chances. lol!

o

no you can change the amount, any amount, coin or bills.
I don't rebury the past years bills, they are kept stashed and I just add the new ones to the stash. Some day I will probably give it to the grandkids. But as long as you have it you are never broke. lol

o

Well it's paying off already!
I walked out to dig up my money, After I finished I turned around looked down and right there at my feet was a shiny penny! I decided to play it safe and stashed the penny with the previous buried bills.

Here's hoping that we all have a prosperous New Year.

o

Never heard of the "Burying Money" tradition. Is it a regional observance?
I just know I have to have Black Eyed Peas on New Year's Day! Some cornbread and greens are good, too!

o

I forgot to dig up the dime. Is there a time limit for when the money must be dug up?

o

It has to be dug up today so go ahead and dig it up.

I heard about this tradition about 8 years ago on another forum, Googled it, and sure enough there it was. I have been doing it ever since.

Yes today we definitely had black eyes and cabbage and pork, for health and wealth.

o

I had every intention of doing it and completely forgot. Bummer. :(

o

When I told my son about this, he couldn't wait. So we did it this year! Hope it brings us financial luck. Happy New Year everyone!

o

I completely forgot. Darn. I'm sick today. Hope that's not how 2013 will be for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here