Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gritty fudge recipe?

Posted by moonie_57 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 20:41

I have never made what I considered "good" fudge. For whatever reason, whether recipe or what, it is always smooth and creamy. I like my fudge gritty. Does anyone have a gritty recipe or a reason why some fudge is creamy, some gritty?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gritty fudge recipe?

I always thought that gritty fudge, along with gritty frosting (boiled recipe) was a sign of overcooking. My fudge recipe calls for a full rolling boil for seven minutes, and it's never gritty. Are you looking for a texture that feels like you're crunching on the sugar crystals? Maybe some extra boiling time, but I've never really heard of gritty fudge! Good luck!

o

Well, I was just looking at recipes and I suppose the word "gritty" was not the right choice. No, I'm not wanting it to be crystalized, but perhaps more dry? Crumbly maybe? LOL

Yes, I think a little bit crumbly would be a better way to phrase it.

o

My fudge gets dry and crumbly if I leave it out on a plate and don't store it in a container or cover it up. Just be careful, because if that's what you're looking for, it can REALLY get dried out.

o

You might be thinking of the old Hershey's Cocoa fudge. My dad made it all the time but I can't get it right!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hershey's Cocoa Fudge Recipe

o

This is our favorite fudge. It comes out gritty, which I thought was wrong. I had decided not to make it this year because of that. Now that I know some people like it that way, I'll go ahead and make it.

You could forgo the fancy salt if you want to, and omit the salt on the top. We like the salty/sweet combo, though.

Fleur de Sel Fudge

1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. fleur de sel, divided

1. Grease an 8-inch square or 9-inch round cake pan with butter. Set aside.
2.Place milk, cream, sugar, and cocoa powder in a heavy-bottomed pot, and bring to a boil on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. When the mixture is boiling, turn it down to medium to prevent it from boiling over. Monitor with a candy thermometer, stirring occasionally if necessary.
3. When mixture reaches soft ball stage, or 234-240 F, remove from heat and beat vigorously until the mixture has lost its glossy appearance. Stir in butter and vanilla, then gently stir in 1/2 tsp. fleur de sel.
4. Pour fudge into prepared cake pan, and sprinkle remaining fleur de sel on top. Leave to cool before cutting into small squares.

o

If you want GOOD, EASY fudge every time, use the recipe on the Condensed milk can - it cannot be beat and turns out perfect EVERY time, with only three ingredients - can of condensed milk, a package of flavored baking chips and a teaspoon of good vanilla, combined in a double boiler and poured into a wax paper-lined 8"x8" pan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here