SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
curlysue_gw

Jury Duty Question......need advice, please

curlysue
12 years ago

I got selected for jury duty and believe me when I say that I am not trying to get out of it, because I always thought it sounded like it would be interesting. The thing is, when you go to jury duty you get paid $12.50 a day. My employer does not pay me for any days that I am out because of jury duty. Bottom line, I am single, I live on a budget while helping my daughter with college expenses. I try to put $100 a month in savings and sometimes even that is hard. So my question is, is this considered a hardship or a sound reason to try to get out of doing jury duty. I mean if I have to sit jury for even 1 day a week, I would have to dip into savings to live. It would cost me money I don't have to do my civic duty, and honestly, I don't feel like this is fair.

I have never been on jury duty, I don't know how any of this works and I don't want to try to get out of it if this would be considered a 'nice try' sit down and shut up. I don't want anyone to think I am just trying to get out of it for the sake of getting out of it. I would rather sit on a jury than be at work. I think.

Comments (35)