SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
froggedd

BIL suggests skipping christmas for vaccation instead

frogged
10 years ago

How would you handle this? My BIL and sister are a good double income family with two kids, my parents are now both retired. They have both taken many vacations to locals south ie Mexico, Jamaica Hawaii and other such places, both on cruises and to resorts. I am a single income and don't travel due to money and I also have two large dogs that I DO NOT board EVER. My BIL strongly suggested that instead of having Christmas next year we all go as a family on a cruise. He has stated they have everything they need and Christmas gifts are just unnecessary. Which is true they have the ability to buy what ever they need or want when they want it. So come Christmas they do not want or need anything so they want to go on a vacation instead. I have no idea what my parents think of this. My mom has always gotten a lot of joy buying everyone gifts. She shops all year looking for bargains and works really hard to find things everyone wants. This is the first year they are both retired with no job income. BEFORE my BIL mentioned his idea this year we were disusing their past vacations and talking about cruises and I stated then that I would NEVER want to go on a cruise, and had no intentions of going anywhere anytime soon. To this he said I would like a cruise if I went on one. Funnily enough my nephew also stated he would not want to go on a cruise, said this many times only to have his Dad tell him the same thing he would enjoy himself once he got there. It was after all the gifts were opened that he brought up that next year we should do the cruise instead. I said nothing, I don't want to go on a cruise and he knows it. They know my finical situation, that I have to buy a new roof, AC furnace, bay window and upgrade the electrical in my house before I ever thought to spend money on a vacation. So Im left to wonder are they suggesting I go knowing full well I won't go then the blame for not participating and being a party pooper is on me. Or are they just plain oblivious to anyone but themselves. I won't let my parents put out any money for me for this just so I am included. I know they will feel awful if they all go and I am left alone at Christmas, and my birthday is around Christmas as well. So they may feel they can't go which again makes me the party pooper because they will not want to be away from my sister and their grandkids either. I think it is unfair of him to suggest this, I wonder too if this is a plan for them to go away at Christmas for vacation without blame or guilt. Suggesting we all come knowing we won't they don't have to feel bad for going cause they wanted us to come and we decided not to...I feel like I am in a no win situation and it is not fair. I will wind up being the spoil sport for not wanting or being able to go on a trip that I had no desire to go on. Any thoughts

Comments (22)