SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

Remembering my parents' Christmas tree

sheilajoyce_gw
10 years ago

I was remembering my parents' Christmas tree that I helped decorate as a child as I finished up our tree today. Lots of the ornaments were bought during the WWII period where people had to scramble to find ornaments because typical manufacturers were converted to making things for the war effort. There were a few of those old fashioned tree lights that mom had painted with nail polish since colored lights were not being sold. I am especially thinking of the ones made with two small pieces of mirror glued together with a loop to hang them onto the tree. They were hand painted with poinsettias or a lit candle in an old fashioned candle holder.Some were diamond shapes and others were long narrow (3/4" by 2 1/2") shapes. They caught the light and twinkled on the tree.

While I have not been able to find the decorated mirrors for sale these days, I have found the glass icicles that my mother remembered on her tree in the early 1900s. My sister and I have bought dozens over the years. With little grandsons visiting, I will hang mine on the upper half of the tree this year.

What do you remember with nostalgia of your parents' decorations?

Comments (19)