SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

HBO's "Parade's End"

chisue
10 years ago

We've just finished watching the third of five parts of this adaptation of the book by Ford Madox Ford; screenplay by Tom Stoppard; staring Benedict Cumberbatch. It's very, very good!

Comments (6)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out.

• Shelgal
    10 years ago

What day of the week was it shown?

• chisue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Correction: I left off the 's'; it's an adaptation of Ford's *books*. Also, HBO produced this *with* the BBC.

Shelgal - I don't know when this originally aired in England or here, but I think it was 2011-12. We are viewing it on a DVD from our public library.

• Shelgal
    10 years ago

Thanks. I'd like to watch it. Will check my library website. Is the title "Parade's End" or "The Parade's End?" My library requires very exact titles for a search.

• terilyn
    10 years ago

Just found it on the HBO app, thanks for the recommendation.

• chisue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's "Parade's End" -- no "The". I think this refers to a parade before soldiers are dismissed and become private citizens again.

I hope y'all will let me know whether you liked it...or not. It's wise to understand the social mores of the upper classes in Britain in 1914 to keep from shouting advice to the characters to stop being so hidebound! (I would also ask Cumberbatch to rely on his ability to convey emotion without twisting his mouth.)